Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Footwear Photo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    maybe some of you shoe guys can help with this...

I'm wanting a pair of BASS Weejuns because:reasons. There are a couple of versions I'm interested in, and I seem to be getting nowhere. I went to the local "outlet" store to find that they appeared to be in the midst of either a move or shutting down, and selection was shit. Then I ordered a couple of models/sizes online based on my limited sizing experience at the outlet store only to have them cancel part of the order and then continuously email me to tell me that the balance of the order is on backorder.

I see some things listed on Amazon but the sizing options have me suspect as to what I'd be getting if I ordered from there.

Any ideas where I can find some in-stock that would also allow for returns if I order two sizes of two models and then return 3 of them?
    Got a few pairs, figured out which ones fit, but now the secondary probablem is a total lack of traction on the leather soles. The heel is rubberized but the sole is all leather and SLICK which isn't going to work for me.

I'm considering these guys but I'm still not really happy about the whole thing as I really wanted the actual Weejuns.
    https://www.zappos.com/p/cole-haan-h...7476/color/617

I *don't* want the rubber sole look from the side but I'd like to find a pair of loafers that has the leather-look on the side but a rubber insert for traction from underneath. Looking for something "shiny" too. Probably need a wide 2ee width. Not looking to spend more than $200, prefer more like $150 range.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    thanks for that. looks like pretty slim pickins at that link but I can google around.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Yes, that's just the ones with a combination sole. They have others with rubber soles also. One thing I can tell you is, they do offer an honest to God EE or EEE (what I need) and their shoes are well-made. So if they have one that you like and fits you well in your size, it should be a good option.

Site Supporter
    When I hear people who want a rubber sole for traction, shinable and available in wide. I think about most of the agents, particularly USSS, with whom I have worked as they are in suits more than anybody these days.I make all of these recommendations based on my time as a salesman at Macy's ( 7+ years), a sales rep for a Fortune 100 company (2 years), a mall jewelry salesman (1 year) and as an atty for the last 28 years, 23 of which in federal service.

Solution 1 is to buy whatever you like and have a rubber sole/piece of rubber- put on/sewn/glued or combination thereof by a cobbler. This is often the most costly route. Until recently, if you wanted a shoe that was would really take a shine, had style and could give you enough traction to run and fight in, this is what had to be done.

Soulution 2. Is to buy something that is shinable, stylish and has a traction oriented sole from jump street. This is what the vast majority of agents now do, particularly since Allen Edmonds can now be had with combo and dainite soles.

I have extrapolated from lace ups to loafers for you stated needs. Brands listed below are in order of ascending quality to your pricepoint of 200.00. Finally, at the expense of stating the obvious, if you find what you like, buy at least two. Rotating between two pairs will make the shoes last much longer than wearing one pair until failure, resole point etc. and then buying another.

Rockport/Ecco/Allen Edmond.

https://www.rockport.com/rockport/me...Lw_wcB&start=1

https://www.amazon.com/ECCO-Queensto...a-946702255117

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...Penny+&start=1

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Soulution 2. Is to buy something that is shinable, stylish and has a traction oriented sole from jump street. This is what the vast majority of agents now do, particularly since Allen Edmonds can now be had with combo and dainite soles.
    Great advice on Allen Edmond with the dainite soles. I love both pairs I have, and will get more.

I'm not involved in LE, but I do appreciate a dress shoe with some good traction. A long time ago I was involved in a couple of donnybrooks while wearing leather-soled boots, and it was a unwelcome disadvantage. I avoid such events now, but I still have a strong aversion to slippery footwear.

Thanks for that. This one looks pretty good, particularly since the rubber sole doesn’t just look like a black tire glued to the bottom like so many I’ve seen.

Name:  6478C3E1-CE42-4AD2-B65A-5A8053E385B9.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  43.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Thanks for that. This one looks pretty good, particularly since the rubber sole doesn’t just look like a black tire glued to the bottom like so many I’ve seen.

Name:  6478C3E1-CE42-4AD2-B65A-5A8053E385B9.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  43.6 KB
    Ordered two pairs of these in supposedly two different colors. With them on my feet I could barely distinguish the difference!

Not as shiny as I’d like either but I suppose I can shine them myself.

And of course it appears that what I may require is a 10w...

Name:  5F93D54C-85BE-40DC-A213-094C21DF483F.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  34.1 KB

ETA
    Here’s what I ordered. So the “cognac” from the order arrived as “tan” on the box. Not sure if that’s an error or just the way their system works.
    Name:  559C9BDD-6DF3-4007-BA27-9E483878DF9C.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  38.1 KB
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-02-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Site Supporter
    My shoe paste brand of choice-Lincoln

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Shoe-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I am told that Saphir brand is excellent for a shoe cream but I have not tired it yet.

Another shoe life extension habit beyond never wearing the same shoe 2x in a row unless on the road I picked up long ago was to the wear the shoe until you can just see where the heal is going to start wearing down based on your gait. Then put on plastic heel taps over that wear spot.

I have 20+ year old Allen Edmond's that were second hand when I got them that have held up just fine heel wise using that approach. I am now using the same with great success on some Red Wing an Wolverine boots. I would think that heal protection will be critical on a rubber healed shoe that is not easily recraftable.

I am told that Saphir brand is excellent for a shoe cream but I have not tired it yet.
    It's amazing, makes other products feel like they're worthless.

Another shoe life extension habit beyond never wearing the same shoe 2x in a row unless on the road I picked up long ago was to the wear the shoe until you can just see where the heal is going to start wearing down based on your gait. Then put on plastic heel taps over that wear spot.
    Likewise.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List