Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a back up weapon?

Do you carry a back up weapon?

I read an article about them where the author conducted an informal survey with associates and their associates about the subject. She came to the conclusion only about 2% of LEOs carry a back up firearm.

I've carried one almost my entire 20 years. Our current policy states it must be hidden, approved by the range instructors, we have to qualify with it, and we can only carry one.

I think it's essential, but I can't convince all of my guys and girls to do so. About a third of our agency does, and it's the same third that consistently carries off duty as well. I finally have permission to run a training day mostly devoted to off duty policy, mindset, equipment, range time and scenarios. It was a five year process to make it happen.

What about you guys?
    Does your agency allow you to carry a back up firearm?
    Do you carry one? If not, why not?
    Is it issued or is it yours?
    What percentage of your agency carries one and do surrounding agencies allow them?

Yes it's allowed.
    Yes I carry one all the time (even off duty).
    Yes I own it.
    Can't say what the percentage is but I suspect it's very low.
    Most of the agencies nearby allow them except for the folks at CBP. Couldn't believe it when they told me. Ridiculous.

I suspect you'll have a hard time convincing people to carry a 2nd gun. In my experience either a person gets it or they don't. Good on you for trying though!

If I as allowed by policy I would.

With that I carry blades...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post

What about you guys?
    Does your agency allow you to carry a back up firearm?
    Do you carry one? If not, why not?
    Is it issued or is it yours?
    What percentage of your agency carries one and do surrounding agencies allow them?
    Yes, to "What about" me.
    Yes, my agency allows.
    Yes, I carry a BUG.
    It is/they are mine. Currently, I'm qualified with an S&W 642 and a Glock 43. I do have others which could be used, and will decide again on 7/1/16 at qual as to what I carry for the next 6 mos. or so. Off-duty, the other guns I might carry, instead, are a Glock 26 or S&W 640Pro.
    I can't estimate a percentage other than it's low. Out of 10+ persons during qualification, I'm often the only one qualifying with a BUG, but there are probably 600+ who qualify in total.
    Off-duty is harder/impossible to estimate as no qualifications are required as to what is carried off-duty.
    Last edited by L-2; 06-19-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Does your agency allow you to carry a back up firearm? Yes, and no limit to number. There are officers who carry two.
    Do you carry one? If not, why not? Yes.
    Is it issued or is it yours? Personally owned.
    What percentage of your agency carries one and do surrounding agencies allow them? No idea.

Back ups are allowed.
    Personally owned G43.
    Maybe 10 to 15 % of our small agency carry one on duty.

Site Supporter
    Our current policy requires that only issued firearms are carried on duty. We are only issued one handgun each and only about twelve are issued 870s, so no BUG for us when working. I have a CWP so I sometimes carry an airweight .38 off duty as a BUG. Our county PD allows personally owned backup guns to be carried on the ankle only. Glock 27 or J-frame .38. Carry ammo is provided (Speer Gold Dot).
    Last edited by deputyG23; 06-19-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks, G23. You made me think of another good question. Our agency issues Gold Dot as well... Enough to fully load the gun and one reload.

Does your agency supply or require a certain bullet for your back up?
    Last edited by iWander; 06-19-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Thanks, G23. You made me think of another good question. Our agency issues Gold Dot as well... Enough to fully load the gun and one reload.

Does your agency supply or require a certain bullet for your back up?
    It varies. Usually they issue ammo, but post-Sandy Hook if it wasn't a .40 you had to provide your own. Now they issue again. The GO still reads something like "issued or any quality hollowpoint..." I believe. I carry an LCR loaded with PDX-1s.

I'm not permitted to carry a BUG. I would if I could, without a doubt.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn some of our officers did, against policy, but I'm not really comfortable with attempting that myself.

User Tag List