Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One hand/weak hand shooting tips?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I find this especially helpful shooting a Glock, because it helps get the grip angle right, since I don't have a support hand to cam the pistol over into its final position.
    It also gives the gun something rigid to recoil into, reducing the likelihood of the "limp wrist" malfunction.

The great thing is one hand skills are completely trainable.

Shooting IPSC back in the 90's, I sucked so bad at one hand shooting. My strategy was a combination of hope and bluffing, which consisted mostly of hoping there wasn't one hand stuff. When I first went to Rogers, I still royally sucked.

I decided to fix that. Step one being to admit I had a problem. Step 2 being to relize that if I did less than one percent of my shooting one hand, I would continue to suck. I have worked at it enough, when I see one hand stuff, I think this is great because I am going to do better in match placement than I do freestyle. I actually shoot better with just my support hand than just my dominant hand, because I have spent proportionately more time on support hand. It also helps that my wife is a phenom shooting with one hand, and most often beats all the boys with one hand.

At area one, our Pistol Forum group that attended Rogers together, did great on the standards stage. Gabe has a video of us all shooting that stage, that might be helpful in showing some technique stuff.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PS -- LL you need to fix the underlying issue or issues you have going on while shooting one hand, which is likely sympathetic movement with your non trigger fingers, rather than relying on Kentucky windage!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've had good results expressing the following to students:

The support hand on the gun allows for a very strong (and also hopefully properly built) grip which allows for aggressive trigger manipulation without disturbing the sight picture enough to matter.

For SHO I don't suggest fundamentally changing the firing hand grip in any way, as least as far as the hand placement. As several have already noted, there is an interesting interaction between "not enough" and "too much", which I also talk about.

I say stiff arm the gun and index your chin off your bicep. Yes, you need a *little* more nuance in your trigger, but KEEP IT MOVING. You *do* need a strong grip... basically you're pre-tensioning your hand to minimize movement during the trigger manipulation. However, too hard of a grip makes it difficult sometimes to isolate the trigger finger. I learned a lot of the good on this subject from Bob Vogel, and I learned a lot of detrimental stuff from other trainers.

It's cool most everyone has pointed these different pieces out already! I like to say that two handed shooting is much more about grip and one-handed shooting is more about trigger control.

It seems to work for my students - killers that they are! lol

Good thread.

I did a USPSA classifier (first ever) last month with some one hand shooting. I had a bunch of misses, and it was in part because I had not worked one handed much, at all.

Today at the square range I did two magazines one handed at the end.

Will look at the suggestions in this thread, but if there are any additional thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Also, not just live fire, but for one handed dry practice as well.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-23-2017 at 07:44 PM.

One fairly recent 'ah-ha' I had with weak hand shooting was to make sure that my dominant eye was seeing the sights. For whatever reason I was finding that I would 'mirror' my vision and try to use my non-dominant eye when shooting weak handed. Now I make sure to turn my head and maybe even close my non dominant eye when I have to shoot weak handed.

This, combined with rotating the elbow in and down and a focus on trigger discipline have helped a lot.

1) If you can, make sure you are NOT shooting weak hand only. In other words, work with a grip strengthening tool to make your weak hand stronger, a lot stronger. Maybe as strong as your strong hand. This will also help your two hand shooting, and with isolating your trigger finger.

2) Consider using a thumb down crush grip for weak hand only shooting. Your grip strength is literally greater with the thumb folded down ... for all the reasons shown above.

3) In dry fire, practice immediately releasing and prepping the trigger. Get used to doing at least that much. Release the trigger right away, let it go all the way forward, then quickly take up all the slack and apply some light initial pressure. That way you will give yourself the best chance of having a good weak hand trigger press. Don't pin the trigger back because you feel uncomfortable. If you do, you will want to release the trigger slowly and yank on it as your sights swing across the target. Not good.

4) Try shooting a Dot Torture target with 5 shots per bullseye but ALL WEAK HANDED! Or flip the instructions and shoot your freestyle targets with a two-handed weak-hand grip. (I may try that one!) Post your targets here.

5) Share what is working here. Good luck.
    Last edited by CommanderCrusty; 06-21-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Tag List