Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One hand/weak hand shooting tips?

One hand/weak hand shooting tips?

I'm trying to improve my one handed/weak handed shooting. Does anyone have any "light-bulb" moments when learning how to shoot one handed/weak handed? Some of the things I'm playing with are bent elbow vs non-bent elbow and gun vertically oriented vs canted, and how tight to grip the gun. What's worked for you guys?

Use a lightweight .22 revolver for zillions of rounds of practice. Once you can steer the sights pressing a long trigger on a lightweight revolver, everything else is cake. Plus, with the .22 there is no recoil to mask what you are doing with the trigger press.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shot a lot of bullseye when I was younger. It forces you to focus on fundamentals.

Also, bullseye shooters use an upright, severely bladed stance, which I never see practical shooters use. Practical shooters all use the same stance as they do with two hands, they just drop one hand or put it across their chest. I feel like the bullseye stance is much more relaxed, which probably makes it easier for me to get hits. Now that you've asked this question, I need to go spend some time comparing the two and get back to you with my observations.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I'm not sure exactly what type of shooting you're doing. If you're doing bullseye or something I don't know much about that.

The one thing that really helped me is, grip twice as hard as you think you can.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

I'm doing practical/defensive pistol work and my main issue is recoil control in multi-shot strings. Slow fire I'm ok but when I speed up or shoot doubles I start throwing my shots.

I'm a noob so take this for what it's worth but I've always been horrible at one handed shooting. I used to tilt the gun at an angle and all sorts of weird stuff. It finally clicked when I did two things,

1) rotate the elbow in and down
    2) take your thumb and bend it down, towards the magazine release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

When you are shooting freestyle, at speed, you have a support hand to provide recoil control, and your strong hand for trigger control. That allows you to clamp like crazy with your support hand and have a more relaxed trigger finger.

The issue with shooting one hand, is the same arm and hand have to control recoil and work the trigger. More clamp is good for recoil but bad for fine trigger control. Something I do shooting one hand is to try to lock out my arm, which effectively increases my lock up mechanically without increasing clamping force. I find this especially helpful shooting a Glock, because it helps get the grip angle right, since I don't have a support hand to cam the pistol over into its final position.

Shooting one hand, I really work at keeping the trigger moving, so the shot breaks as the pistol comes down in recoil, to avoid jerking it "right now," which often leads to bad results.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    GJM is right gripping the gun tighter does increase your tendency to pull your shots down and in, but you overcome that with practice. The biggest benefit I found with gripping harder are recoil control, but I don't think there is much you can do to make the gun come back straight who/sho (anyone know any different ? )
    The other big improvement for me was a steadier sight picture.

There are lots of different ways and not all of them will work for you, you've just got to try it and see.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

I'm sure I'll catch hell over it but I always aim a bit to the side that I'm shooting from (shooting right handed, aim a bit right and so on) in order to compensate for my shitty skills. It works for me.
    #RESIST

I have to do a modest amount of SHO/WHO (Strong Hand Only / Weak Hand Only) shooting in USPSA and occasionally IDPA. Accuracy on the clock is tough but doable. I was working on this yesterday, 10-20 yards.

I completely agree with conflicts between grip and recoil control and trigger. A strong grip helps but then trigger manipulation gets worse.

It is easy to rush the sight picture then snatch the trigger, either of which can throw the shot, then recoil is far slower and the gun tracks oddly - particularly when the gun is canted. Trying to shoot SHO much less freestyle (2 hand) speeds like this is a mess, unpredictable at best.

I like the suggestion for bringing the elbow in and down. I'm guessing that would help quite a bit with recoil management and sight tracking but need to test it for speed/accuracy.

You might also try some 6-shot Bill Drills varying the distance. There is much to be learned about all of the above, and I think it is helpful to train/retrain WHO like you are a raw new shooter. I also was running the 300 drill (10 @ 25 yards on a B8) WHO - this is a great confidence builder. I was able to keep most of the shots in the black.

User Tag List