Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR500 armor recall

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    A plate carrier assigned to a cruiser would likely suffer a lifetime banging around in the trunk, which seems to be the most damaging environment possible for ceramic plates.
    I keep mine in a duffel with padding (well, actually a "spare" uniform) under it and my soft armor on top of it. When I gear up for something stupid that I probably shouldn't be doing, I put the soft on first then the rifle plate carrier.

So if I'm reading Doc's excellent guide to hard armor, and I'm likely not, non-ceramic hybrid plates would be the suggested solution for CONUS LE at the cruiser assigned patrol level?

Also- is there specific x-ray testing equipment/procedures for ceramic plates, or is it as simple as finding a friend in the medical field?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Doc,

In the case of steel plates not stopping 193, and poly plates not stopping 855, do you think/know if those rds will then stop in IIIA, if worn in conjunction?
    Last edited by SLG; 06-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Depending on the yaw angle after defeating the steel, some (but not all) of the M193 has been stopped in the underlying IIIa soft armor; M855 and M855A1 typically go right through both the LIII PE hard armor and underlying IIIa soft armor.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Depending on the yaw angle after defeating the steel, some (but not all) of the M193 has been stopped in the underlying IIIa soft armor; M855 and M855A1 typically go right through both the LIII PE hard armor and underlying IIIa soft armor.
    Thanks, that was what I remembered from our early experiments with poly plates, but couldn't say for sure.

DpdG--yes, that is a good durable way to go, albeit a bit heavier.

Slightly off tangent...Any recommendations for 5.56 rated non-ceramic plates that are "good to go" for civilian use?

Following up on the "durable with M193 and M855 capabilities" tangent- I have been looking for specific plates that meet Doc's suggestion of looking for non-ceramic hybrid construction. So far I have found the AMI TAC3S, Protech Impac RT-Plus, and Tancate Cratus 3400SA (sold under a couple house brands).

The Protech seems reasonably priced ($200+/-) although it is a flat (no curve) plate. Also, I have struggled to find any sort of trustworthy third party review.
    The AMI and Tancate are hard to find as neither sells retail and most re-sellers re-label them under house brands. Also, seem to be on the expensive side for the desired use of being assigned to a pool car.

Other than those, I'm struggling to find any others that are non-ceramic hybrid. Does anyone have any other specific brand/model suggestions?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

AMI sells direct to officers and vetted citizens, not to any dealers. Also none of their products are distributed under any other labels.

The TAC3S light is 6 lbs. Tencate Cratus 3400SA is similar.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 07-12-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    DpdG,

I purchased the TAC3S plates directly from AMI. Ryan, I believe, was who I dealt with. They are, as Doc said, a bit heavier than the other options but they are durable! The 10x12 plates fit the TAG Banshee like it was made for them. They also fit very well in a LPAC armor carrier. They were more costly than other options but, CONUS LE is what I do. They stop the threats that I am likely to face and can be used over soft armor or without. I do not have to cover miles on foot to find work so their weight is not an issue. To me they are worth the extra money.

Jason

User Tag List