Thread: Keeper Concealment AIWB Skills Class AAR

Keeper Concealment AIWB Skills Class AAR

Spencer Keepers, of Keepers Concealment, has been on my radar for a few years now. My friend, Ian Strimbeck from Freedom Hill Gear, told me about this great appendix holster. He showed me photos and I really didn’t see how something like that with a foam wedge would make it easier to conceal. So I held off getting one. Fast forward to May 2016, Spencer invited me to take his inaugural AIWB Skills Class. He let me use his Errand and Keeper Lite during the class, which I know own both. As soon as I put on the Errand, I immediately fell in love with it.

Name:  IMG_4199.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  55.7 KB

The class began with Spencer introducing himself with his background and then had the students do the same. After that, his first lecture was on the appendix holster use and design. This lecture is worth of the price of the class alone. Yes, you read that right. I was completely blown away on how he promotes his competition. Spencer thinks his holsters are the best, but he wants you to find the right gear for you if his doesn’t fit you. He goes in detail of why he designed Keepers the way he did, and what makes a good holsters. Spencer also discussed other holsters designs during this lecture, the pros and cons of each in his eyes.

Name:  IMG_4203.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  75.1 KB

We went over the safety rules, how to present the handgun from the holster, and how to re-holster safely with our handguns unloaded. I’m not a big dry fire guy, but I understand why we did it. The appendix position is widely miss understood and can be regarded as the most dangerous way to carry, depending on who you ask. For many of the students, this was their first time to train with the gun in this position. Spencer showed a really great way to mitigate of pointing the gun into you when re-holstering.

Name:  IMG_4207.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  63.7 KB

After lunch, we started shooting. We were just getting reps with 2 to 4 rounds at 7 yards in the A Zone on an IDPA target. We did this for around 100 rounds or so. Spencer walked up and down the line making corrections with the shooters. He also went into to discuss what he believes is the best for hand placement, sight alinement, mag changes, and more. Again, this was a class to safely get used to the AIWB position. Spencer quotes Tom Givens of Rangemasters’ data about self-defense shootings. So this class is better suited for a person looking for training for personal defense.

Name:  IMG_4200.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  64.9 KB

If you follow me, you know I’m a Combat Focus Shooting instructor. By me saying that, I enjoyed the class and Spencer was able to fix an issue I generally had when I would present my handgun from the holster. I do recommend this class for anyone who wants to become more efficient with carrying in the AIWB position.

Tyler Grant
    www.DynamicTrainingStrategies.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've been meaning to get an AAR done on this same class since taking it, I was in the exact same class as Tyler.

I've been meaning to get down to the OKC area for some time and shoot with Spencer, and this class seemed like a great way to take a look at what he is teaching in the area of AIWB. Although I've carried AIWB for decades (primarily with revolvers...) before it became a popular thing, other folks, such as Todd and Spencer, have put a LOT more work into "doing the work" on this subject recently than I have so I thought I'd like to be a student and see what the current state of the art is. I was not disappointed.

Spencer has put the work in on AIWB, clearly going to the point of designing and building his own version of the "perfect" AIWB rig for the full size semi-auto pistol. Spencer lives the lifestyle and carries a G34 or G35 typically, and conceals it well. IN class Spencer covers the "why?" of a lot of what he does, displays and even recommends holsters from other makers (a sign of a true professional IMHO, and that this is student needs and not instructor ego driven type training...).

Class and range time was as Tyler described. Training was well delivered, although I think Spencer was obviously working on the timeline for a full day class and I suspect he has already tweaked the class outline for the better.

This class would be safe for people with basic pistol skills to attend, and they would learn a great deal on how to safely and effectively carry/shoot from AIWB, yet more experienced pistol shooters without experience in the AIWB area would get a lot out of it as well.

Overall, highly recommended for folks wanting to look at AIWB carry.

As an aside, I had to drive down to the OKC area from Topeka, attend the class, then drive back that night, due to work obligations. I wore my Keepers AIWB holster and G17 to the class for the drive down, all day in class, then for the drive back. Gun and holster worn well over 18 hours that day, zero issues with discomfort. Spencer has designed a very effective, safe and comfortable AIWB holster that fits my needs very well.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I'm curious, what were the other holster makers he spoke highly of?

I'm hoping to attend his next one. I only live an hr away from him so I have zero excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I'm curious, what were the other holster makers he spoke highly of?

I'm hoping to attend his next one. I only live an hr away from him so I have zero excuses.

Dark Star Gear was one, there were several others, I forget all of them actually.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Dark Star Gear was one, there were several others, I forget all of them actually.
    Jm custom? Custom carry concepts shaggy?

I want to take the plunge and get a keeper. I'm not sure I've ever read anything bad about them. I just wonder if it's going be to $80 better than the jm custom kydex ones.

Jm custom? Custom carry concepts shaggy?

I want to take the plunge and get a keeper. I'm not sure I've ever read anything bad about them. I just wonder if it's going be to $80 better than the jm custom kydex ones.

I can't say, but I can tell you that the Keeper is a really good holster for my needs, build, and the guns I carry.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I can't say, but I can tell you that the Keeper is a really good holster for my needs, build, and the guns I carry.
    Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I just wonder if it's going be to $80 better than the jm custom kydex ones.
    AIWB is a very individual thing, so it's difficult to predict IMHO.

The Keeper has more adjustability than the JM. If your JM is already hitting the "sweet spot" for ride height and cant, then that may not matter to you.

The Keeper has a very clever feature in that it will pinch the trigger finger in the event the user were to accidentally leave it on the trigger. I don't expect to ever need that feature, but I very much appreciate that it's there.

In a couple of cases, I've had to remove a bit of material from my JM's to allow for a full firing grip, whereas my Keepers were good to go out of the box. Obviously, this is going to vary depending on the specific gun model and hand size. Removing Kydex is not difficult, so not a big deal.

For me, the foam wedge was a really big difference, and my JM's all have Velcro and Keeper-style wedges added. JM has a foam wedge option now, so that's a wash, IMHO.

For ME, the Keeper works slightly better out of the box, but the JM's are almost the same after a little tweaking. Both are superb holsters IMHO.

Hope this helps.

I'm very much hoping my schedule allows me to take this class in Culpepper in August.

Thanks Chuck!!

I talk about dark star gear, CCC, JM, 5 shot leather, Raven ect in the class. And of course our holsters.
    I go into the "whys" as Chuck and Tyler said. The big point I try and make in every class I teach is the Holster is the most important pice of gear you will buy !! It is what allows you to be armed and concealed Comfortably!! The gun is second to the holster. As ant good instructor can teach how to shoot most any "good " handgun out there well enough to defend yourself.. But you won't have it when you need it if the holster isn't right.
    The class is about raising the water level of AIWB carry and trying to dispel the DERP that surrounds AIWB.

Come on out and train with me!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List