Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal LE with an Accounting Degree?

Federal LE with an Accounting Degree?

I am currently considering a Master's of Accounting, and one career option that I was recently made aware of is IRS CI. I have also been told that the FBI and TIGTA also hire CPAs as 1811s. Are there any other options I should be researching? I would be applying maybe 5-6 years from now, as I'm a current undergrad and if I pursue the MAcc will most likely end up working in audit for several years after graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post
    I am currently considering a Master's of Accounting, and one career option that I was recently made aware of is IRS CI. I have also been told that the FBI and TIGTA also hire CPAs as 1811s. Are there any other options I should be researching? I would be applying maybe 5-6 years from now, as I'm a current undergrad and if I pursue the MAcc will most likely end up working in audit for several years after graduation.
    I heard a few months ago the IRS isn't hiring more 1811's. As in ever again. I was surprised but it was a reliable source.

There are LOTS of LE options for folks with accounting degrees...especially if you are fluent in Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, etc...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I heard a few months ago the IRS isn't hiring more 1811's. As in ever again. I was surprised but it was a reliable source.
    Do you think that's related to this?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There are LOTS of LE options for folks with accounting degrees...especially if you are fluent in Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, etc...
    I am a fluent Mandarin speaker but not so good in reading and writing anymore. Are these generally 1811 positions? From what I've gathered the hiring is quite competitive so I suppose I would be applying to as many agencies as possible when the time comes. Sorry if these are dumb questions or this isn't the right place for it, I'm just trying to scope out what my options are before I make any big decisions about schooling.

Do you think that's related to this?

I am a fluent Mandarin speaker but not so good in reading and writing anymore. Are these generally 1811 positions? From what I've gathered the hiring is quite competitive so I suppose I would be applying to as many agencies as possible when the time comes. Sorry if these are dumb questions or this isn't the right place for it, I'm just trying to scope out what my options are before I make any big decisions about schooling.
    That could be part of it. I got the impression they were getting out of the enforcement side of things. My experience with their 1811's has been resoundingly positive. I can however nominate a couple of other federal LE agencies I'd like to see Comgress defund and abolish.

If you speak Mandarin, my recommendation would be to apply to the FBI and never look back.
    Last edited by El Cid; 06-18-2016 at 03:14 PM.

One of my patients recently was hired by the FBI--finance degree and Mandarin speaker.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-20-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    You should have a good shot at the FBI. However, you would also be a competitive candidate for ICE/HSI and the DEA. "Follow the money" has broad application in federal LE.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    If you speak Mandarin, my recommendation would be to apply to the FBI and never look back.
    Several intelligence agencies would be interested in talking with you too, if that were something you'd be interested in. Private contractors as well.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

If you want to get that Master's for your own personal goals, go for it, but hopefully the sole purpose is not just to get into fed LE, as it's not necessary.

That said, TIGTA and IRS CI are obvious fits for people with accounting backgrounds. However, most fed LE agencies (probably all if I really thought hard about it) can make good use of accounting skills.

DEA, FBI, and ICE/HSI are some more obvious examples agencies that need people with accounting skills, to include Special Agents. Less obvious are ATF, as they target gangs/organized crime involved with violent crime (guns, explosives, arson) who are also laundering money and committing a variety of other crimes in addition to the violent acts, and tax related schemes involving tobacco/alcohol, and arsons for profit.

US Secret Service, USPIS, and Social Security OIG, all have a nexus to various financial schemes, such as identity theft, which ties into mail fraud, wire fraud, etc.

DCIS, NCIS, OSI and Army CID all have huge contract fraud programs, to protect DoD from a wide variety of scams.

The list goes on and on.

I know people with accounting backgrounds who work at all of the agencies mentioned above, along with several more. Many federal crimes have a financial motive, and that means most agencies need that skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    If you want to get that Master's for your own personal goals, go for it, but hopefully the sole purpose is not just to get into fed LE, as it's not necessary.

That said, TIGTA and IRS CI are obvious fits for people with accounting backgrounds. However, most fed LE agencies (probably all if I really thought hard about it) can make good use of accounting skills.

DEA, FBI, and ICE/HSI are some more obvious examples agencies that need people with accounting skills, to include Special Agents. Less obvious are ATF, as they target gangs/organized crime involved with violent crime (guns, explosives, arson) who are also laundering money and committing a variety of other crimes in addition to the violent acts, and tax related schemes involving tobacco/alcohol, and arsons for profit.

US Secret Service, USPIS, and Social Security OIG, all have a nexus to various financial schemes, such as identity theft, which ties into mail fraud, wire fraud, etc.

DCIS, NCIS, OSI and Army CID all have huge contract fraud programs, to protect DoD from a wide variety of scams.

The list goes on and on.

I know people with accounting backgrounds who work at all of the agencies mentioned above, along with several more. Many federal crimes have a financial motive, and that means most agencies need that skill set.
    I've been considering the Master's for a while, the fed LE angle came later. Thanks for the information, until recently I hadn't considered the possibility of a career in LE so I have a lot to learn.

User Tag List