Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: WSJ - why does the IRS need guns

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The article SAYS "a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson “Hand Ejector Military & Police Model” revolver with a pearl handle"
    It SHOWS in drawing and photograph, a topbreak that looks like an Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless, saying the picture was taken at IRS hq. It does have pearl handles.
    MSM gun experts in action.
    Now you're just being picky. "Parts is parts!"
    Last edited by blues; 09-26-2016 at 09:32 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post

Reduce and simplify the tax code and you'd need less enforcers. Last article I read put it at 74,608 pages and over 10 million words in length.
    I don't get your point. How would politicians raise campaign funds if the tax code were simple? If businesses weren't threatened by destruction caused by obscure and poorly written portions of the tax code they wouldn't need to contribute money to try to re-elect someone who says he/she will try to get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I don't get your point. How would politicians raise campaign funds if the tax code were simple? If businesses weren't threatened by destruction caused by obscure and poorly written portions of the tax code they wouldn't need to contribute money to try to re-elect someone who says he/she will try to get it fixed.
    You are underestimating the capability of politicians to come up with "problems that need fixing".

To be fair, the IRS, during my brief association with the agency, did conduct long term investigations, (both on the public corruption and tax side), on diverse matters such as organized crime / LCN, specifically the Colombo crime family; outlaw (1%) motorcycle clubs and "supremacist" groups all of which I have personal knowledge and experience with.

A sharp pencil is always a good thing but sometimes you need a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You are underestimating the capability of politicians to come up with "problems that need fixing".
    Probably, but the tax code is almost perfectly made for that purpose. It is so complex that no one will understand the purpose of an amendment to a bill on another subject that just switches a few tax provisions around, and suddenly a provision that destroys your business and enriches your biggest competitor is almost silently changed to enrich you and bankrupt him. Dozens of congress critters can raise large amounts in contributions from such a ploy, and then can raise even more to stay on guard as your competitor tries to fire back supported by its own congress critter team. With any luck for the congress critters involved, this one small fight over a few sentences in the tax code can go on for dozens of election cycles.

Even green energy--which has the reputation of being the biggest government scam in Washington, and which has enriched many big campaign contributors, has a hard time competing with the tax code as a way to get money to pour into the coffers of lobbyists and the campaign war chests of powerful incumbents.
    Last edited by Jeep; 09-26-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Probably, but the tax code is almost perfectly made for that purpose.
    Almost sounds like it was planned that way, doesn't it? ;-)
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 09-26-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    A sharp pencil is always a good thing but sometimes you need a gun.
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Excellent.
    Thank you, friend.

After last night, it is perfectly clear to me why the IRS needs lots of guns -- to properly guard Donald Trump's tax returns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After last night, it is perfectly clear to me why the IRS needs lots of guns -- to properly guard Donald Trump's tax returns.
    Ba'dump-ching
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List