Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm coming out of the closet for Milo Yiannopoulos....

My experience with gun-control advocates tells me that the term "conversation" is a code-word they use to mean "acquiescence".
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by DeathRay View Post
    What I would like is for gun owners to own that part of the gun culture they don't want to take responsibility for, the part that leads to all these mass shootings.
    These mass shootings you refer to... are you talking about those that result in a media/political circus like after Orlando, or gang-related shootings?

I won't deride at all your desire to be a self-reliant Minuteman.
    Starting when?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    There is when you make the decision about what discussion is necessary, and the public disagrees with you.
    That's twice that someone has responded with skepticism that there is even the need for a conversation about mass shootings in this country. I'm detecting a bit of Ostrich syndrome.

What I would like is for gun owners to own that part of the gun culture they don't want to take responsibility for, the part that leads to all these mass shootings.
    If that's what you need, then sure. From all gun owners, for you:

-We are the people who encouraged mentally ill people to stop taking their meds and steal firearms.
    -We are the people who encourage that the Quran and Hadith be followed to the letter.
    -We are the president who called Isis "The JV Team" and said that we shouldn't take them seriously. We don't take people who follow their orders during Ramadan and pledge allegiance to "The JV Team" seriously either.
    -We double check to make sure that every mentally ill person has "that thing that goes up" on their gun before they start shooting.
    -We make sure that guns aren't locked up by the parents of mentally ill children. We issue fines if they lock their guns up.

That's twice that someone has responded with skepticism that there is even the need for a conversation about mass shootings in this country. I'm detecting a bit of Ostrich syndrome.
    You came to a gun forum to troll... what did you expect. Neither side is going to convince one another here. Surely, you must see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    My experience with gun-control advocates tells me that the term "conversation" is a code-word they use to mean "acquiescence".
    I made a point in another of my responses that I don't expect anyone to surrender anything without expecting me and my "side" to yield something as well. So far, of course, the majority of responses have implied that there isn't even a problem. Obviously I have my work cut out for me.

So basically, "Where are all the moderate Muslims gun owners!?"

You're tedious. If you watched John Oliver's segment on the NRA, one of the points he made that I fully agree with is that the NRA is good at mobilizing single issue voters who show up in great numbers. Politically active gun owners care about this stuff ALL THE TIME, not in a short attention span having knee-jerk way in response to a mass shooting. Public support for gun control is a mile wide and an inch deep. The only places it passes are in states with a solid democratic majority in state legislatures.

There is no credibility on the side of people who want gun control for most of us. We're fresh out out of good will or wanting to compromise.
    Last edited by Scal; 06-22-2016 at 01:12 PM.

In the final analysis, however, my bottom line would be this: guns are a weapon designed for killing.
    Let me start off by saying I applaud you having the stones to be in this conversation, and being civil in your arguments. You've obviously entered a firearms biased forum expressing opinions that, expectedly, wouldn't be called popular here.....but, at least to me, you're not being condescending and snarky, as others who come here from your perspective, can be. Cool. From what I've read of your posts, you're frustrated with the mass killings and think something should be done. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your perspective your connecting the violence of the mass shootings to the availability of weapons like the AR15.

In relation to the bolded section above which quotes you......

It is precisely the idea that a gun is designed for killing, that makes it effective. I don't hunt, I dabble with sport shooting and I practice my gun craft. I am a peon compared to many on this forum in regards to gun craft. But........ it is the idea that I am at least somewhat proficient with this tool that is designed for killing, that gives me comfort with the idea of protecting myself / family from aggressors who would want to harm / kill .....because it is designed to kill. It is the tool that gives parity to violence....because through the purposeful action of the hand that holds it, it can deliver violence including death. I'd be really surprised if an aggressor would give equal respect to something that wouldn't deliver this level of violence, if the aggressor even respects that much.

As others have mentioned, please take some time and immerse yourself in this forum, as it really is one of, if not the best firearms related forums in inexistence. I don't fault you for this since you don't "know", but I think you have assumptions regarding guns that are incorrect. Example.... just a few posts ago Josh Runkle made mention of an assumed yearly bullet consumption, and from your reply...well, I don't think you would have ever conceived of someone shooting that much ammo. My yearly bullet consumption is closer to 5k, but I would guess even that number would be considered very high for a person not versed in firearms. In reality, I should be shooting more like 20k / year or more. Competency of firearms, or rather, attempting to master accuracy, the draw, speed shooting, a whole litany of various aspects that go into shooting, like anything else, require thousands of rounds....thousands of repetitions, just like playing an instrument, just like martial arts......anything you want become good at. Also, shooting is a skill that degrades over time and must constantly be practiced / maintained. I hope that you now better understand why something like a bullet tax would meet stiff resistance from people on this forum, including myself.

As mentioned, it seems like you're sort of asking the gun community, specifically, members of this forum..."what do you suggest we as a nation do to stop the mass shootings"?

I've kind of soul searched this one a bit as well, and I really don't think additional legislation, such as AWB, bullet tax, etc., would do make one iota of difference to these mass killings. Please note, I'm purposely not saying mass shootings, but rather mass killings because that is what they are. Someone bent on killing doesn't need an AR15 to cause this level of violence. I'd argue, it's a less efficient way of mass killing as compared to IED's and what not. God help us when IED's become all the rage with mentally unbalanced people or the home grown terrorist. I'm actually surprised the IED thing hasn't become more common, especially since the Boston Marathon event. The hesitation from the gun community, and I agree with this, to get on board with things like banning people from buying firearms who are on the terror watch list and what not, are because the government doesn't always get it right....and of more importance, you're talking about a Constitutional right. You're talking about denying someone their Constitutional right based on an assumption of guilt without being tried in court. Gotta tell ya, in that context, that doesn't sit well with me.

Solutions.....

I hate to say it, but I don't think there is an all encompassing easy answer. Society has evolved during my lifetime of 46 years to fuel the extremes, and as a result, more extreme events happen in society. I have no idea what answer to give as a nationwide solution, but I can say for myself and my wife, we both make the choice to be responsible for ourselves as much as we can. This includes having the credible ability to defend ourselves. While I live in NJ, a state that is a "shall issue" state, where rumor has it, there haven't been any CCW permits issued since 9/11/01, I try to be "ready" at least at home, and while out in the world....be aware of threats and what not.

Again, thanks for your civil discourse.
    Last edited by rauchman; 06-22-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    You came to a gun forum to troll... what did you expect. Neither side is going to convince one another here. Surely, you must see that.
    I see no trolling here. I have been perfectly polite and the responses have been equally polite.

User Tag List