Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We have 40sw ammo so why the watered down 10mm?

The appeal of 10mm is that it might offer enough more velocity to penetrate certain things, like an animal's skull, that a regular service caliber would not. Those things, like a skull, having a minimum velocity threshold for penetration, that effectively turns the bullet into a pass/fail exercise.

There are two related issues. One issue is whether that load will function reliably in a semi-auto, because if it won't function reliably, the stoppage sort of negates the capacity advantage of the 10mm in a pistol. The second issue being whether the bullet is designed as a penetrator load, and will perform with enough penetration to penetrate the skull. A subset of number two, is who makes that penetrating load, and is their quality such that you would reasonably be able to rely on it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Splat! View Post
    Interesting you said that Chuck. I have an Underwood 40sw 155 XTP that does 1300 fps and they showed good results in gel. Why not 10mm 180 XTP at 1300 fps? Underwood have such a load that I'm going to order.

We had debates about slow and heavy vs light and fast bullets so how about heavy and fast? They certainly would put down the threat quicker.
    Many 10mms are not reliable with the heavier loads you list.

That's the fly in the ointment that guys like GJM have discovered.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Because it hit harder?
    Smart ass comments on subjects like this, when you are talking to one of the world's leading experts in the field, are not as cool as you think they are.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Smart ass comments on subjects like this, when you are talking to one of the world's leading experts in the field, are not as cool as you think they are.
    Actually, leaving aside how you view the smiley, "because it hits harder" is a pretty universally held belied, that at times is true. Consider folks buying 5.56 loads vs .223, Weatherby vs regular cartridges, .300 WM vs .30-06, .38 vs .357. Companies like Double Tap probably wouldn't exist but for their velocity claims.

I think you just have to dig deeper and say considering this particular pistol, and this particular load, for this particular purpose, does more velocity help or hurt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Actually, leaving aside how you view the smiley, "because it hits harder" is a pretty universally held belied, that at times is true. Consider folks buying 5.56 loads vs .223, Weatherby vs regular cartridges, .300 WM vs .30-06, .38 vs .357. Companies like Double Tap probably wouldn't exist but for their velocity claims.

I think you just have to dig deeper and say considering this particular pistol, and this particular load, for this particular purpose, does more velocity help or hurt.
    Without specifically designed bullets it tends to hurt the results, badly.

Even if they don't go to shit from the bullet being over driven, are the results better? 1300fps isn't enough velocity, with a bullet this sized, to start to get a significant temp cavity, thus the extra recoil and blast are wasted efforts.
    www.agiletactical.com

The ballistic gel tests with various calibers showed similar results, yes that's a given but the reaction of the gel blocks tells the story. It shows that a high powered heavy slugs tends to interrupt the threat's intentions to cause bodily harms.

No, I'm not talking about one shot stops.
    Last edited by Splat!; 06-16-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The ballistic gel tests with various calibers showed similar results, yes that's a given but the reaction of the gel blocks tells the story. It shows that a high powered heavy slugs tends to interrupt the threat's intentions to cause bodily harms.

No, I'm not talking about one shot stops.
    You don't know what you don't know. If you've come to educate people who deal with people shot daily, who test ammunition for major organizations, and who've got real life gun fight experience with your experience watching a gel block jump and making some assumptions based on that, I suspect you'll have a bad time here.

See ya

It shows that a high powered heavy slugs tends to interrupt the threat's intentions
    This is where theory doesn't meet the reality of determined threats mind set.

See ya
    Bye!!!!!!!

User Tag List