Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We have 40sw ammo so why the watered down 10mm?

We have 40sw ammo so why the watered down 10mm?

Since I got my Glock G29 10mm I noticed we have 10mm ammo with 40sw ballistics (and worse) and cost more than the 40sw ammo themselves. I bought a Lone Wolf barrel in 40sw for my G29 and I have a Sig P250c 40sw as well.

Heck, some folks even shot 40sw in their 10mm barrels with no problems.

When I buy 10mm ammo I expected to get 10mm loads. I have Some hot 40sw like the Hornady 165 FTX and Underwood 155 XTP and I want my 10mm 180 to be hotter than them.

At Academy they have Sig Elite 180 that does 1250 fps That I'm satisfied with. Right now I have Hornady 10mm 175 FlexLock (1150 fps) for carry also from Academy. That's the mildest I'll go and Hornady are good stuff. I have 'em in 9mm, 40sw and now 10mm.

I think that one issue is that full-house 10 mm loads tend to be tough on guns. There have been a number of threads here on the difficulty of getting some pistols to run with them.

Almost nobody builds a bullet that works well at 10mm velocities.

That Federal Bonded SP is an example of one built for the purpose.

The 10mm is a very nichey niche. Little incentive for the big names to invest money in it.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Interesting you said that Chuck. I have an Underwood 40sw 155 XTP that does 1300 fps and they showed good results in gel. Why not 10mm 180 XTP at 1300 fps? Underwood have such a load that I'm going to order.

We had debates about slow and heavy vs light and fast bullets so how about heavy and fast? They certainly would put down the threat quicker.

"They certainly would put down the threat quicker."
    Why do you think that? What physiological data is there to show that a 180 gr bullet at 1300 is more capable of incapacitation than a 180 gr bullet at 1000 fps?

How many large LE agencies and military units use Underwood loads for duty use?
    Last edited by DocGKR; 06-16-2016 at 09:47 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Because it hit harder?

"Only manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

It's still just a pistol caliber which means that, at the end of the day, it's just going to poke a hole in a human body. Pretty much just like every major service caliber does. Only with 10mm, you're doing it with a snappier sensation and slower followup shots. And the ammo costs more as well. If that's your thing, then have fun with it. I have a feeling, however, that Doc has some data that would pretty much show that 10mm doesn't do anything measurably better than 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP. Nothing that doesn't outweigh easier recoiling and more cost effective solutions anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    "Only manly men and very dangerous mythical creatures can handle the raw power of the 10mm"
    I know there is some humor in the above statement. I seriously doubt that anyone can shoot a major sub 10MM with full power loads as well as they could shoot a 40S&W let alone a 9mm or 45ACP. Remember it is speed, power and accuracy, not just raw power. That being said, I have a G40 for hunting deer, hogs, and such. No offense intended. I know I will get some flak from someone on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    It's still just a pistol caliber which means that, at the end of the day, it's just going to poke a hole in a human body. Pretty much just like every major service caliber does. Only with 10mm, you're doing it with a snappier sensation and slower followup shots. And the ammo costs more as well. If that's your thing, then have fun with it. I have a feeling, however, that Doc has some data that would pretty much show that 10mm doesn't do anything measurably better than 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP. Nothing that doesn't outweigh easier recoiling and more cost effective solutions anyway.
    AMEN, brother.

User Tag List