Thread: Lights/Sights/Lasers Tour

Site Supporter

Lights/Sights/Lasers Tour

Anyone attended the Lights/Sights/Lasers tour? If o, what did you think? Thanks and be safe.

I have never heard of it. Do you have a link to it?

First time I went, years ago, it was pretty good. I went a couple of years ago and was disappointed. But it's free so go and see for yourself!

Site Supporter
    Josh: www.lslustour.com

Sammy, true except I'd be paying for a hotel room and buying ammo. More importantly, I'm scheduled for a briefing on LEOSA at NRA HQ the next morning. LSL would be more fun, but I should do the responsible thing as an instructor. I have read rather tepid reviews of LSL in recent years.

I attended LSL in 2013. It was a good overview of human performance, training issues, vision theory, and how to enhance them and shooting techniques with available technology from the sponsors. It was particularly valuable to those who hadn't seen such tech in use before, or needed a refresher. Wes Doss was the lead instructor with one AI. Wes's intro and lead-off was a little long, and the morning powerpoint-heavy, but the balance of the day was GTG. Straight info, no hard sell.

Classroom topics from my notes:

explicit discussion of 4 safety rules
    additional safety rules
    operator > weapon
    handheld > WML
    lasers, supplemental aiming device
    human limitations
    equipment limitations
    training limitations
    powers of observation
    physical capabilities (of operator)
    scanning/security
    working from holster
    reloading
    shot delivery
    some other mindset stuff

Shooting at my LSL was on an outdoor range during the day, and use of lights and lasers was very limited. Exemplar guns were available for demo but got limited use. Drill sets were constructive and good examples of how to use aiming references at variable speed on different sized targets, with explained linkage to low-light use. Attendees got exposure to sponsored products, but not a lot of actual time on trigger using them. If you paid attention and took notes, there was a bunch of stuff to take home to evaluate strengths and limitations of what you were using or thinking about buying. Some trainers and thinkers in my group did some good stuff with the info. Others spent a day on the range shooting other people's ammo and got some practice.

Prior to LSL, I had other good training experiences with Wes. Based on those (with the exception for the long LSL classroom block) I think he did a pretty good job with the limitations at hand. I'd like to hit another LSL to see what's new, especially if it was in a variable lighting facility and only if nearby.

Afterthought:

Not too long after LSL, I got to a one-day low light preview course from David Sohm of the Evans Group (http://www.theevansgroup.net/, http://www.tsg.theevansgroup.net/). Like LSL it was a demo session for products on their line card, but extremely well done with high take-home value. I refer to my notes from that session often, and it is worth scheduling if you're in a position to do so.
    Last edited by ST911; 06-15-2016 at 10:00 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List