Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What are your DIY stippling tips/tricks?

I carry this Shield against bare skin - AIWB. I did buff the stippling lightly with 600 grit wet paper. Stippling is still aggressive in hand but no trouble against the skin.

Note: Stippling is not my work but that of Chris Damato.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Does anyone have any tips for removing the finger grooves?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Glock, I presume. Apprentice Way- Put frame in a vise between two paperback books. Get some strips of 60, 100, 200 and 400 grit sandpaper and "shoeshine" stroke the finger groves away going low and slow.
    It might take you 20-30 minutes but it will be down well and without damage to the frame.

Journeyman way-knock 80% of the grooves down with a dremel and last 20% as above.

Master way-knock 98% of the grooves down with a dremel and the last 2% as above.

YMMV GREATLY. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT RE YOUR ABILITY TO CONTROL THE DREMEL, DO NOT USE IT AND GO MANUAL ONLY.

What are your DIY stippling tips/tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I prefer a Dremel with a flapper wheel. A sanding drum works, but is a bit more aggressive and therefore a lot less forgiving. You can always go slow with just sandpaper, too.

Getting them off is the easy part - retexturing the flat spots decently is what I found tricky.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 12-04-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    The above 2 posts are both very good advice.

If you have a belt sander, you can very easily knock down the finger grooves 50% or so while keeping a very stable hold on the frame. Then sand it down by hand from there.

I also really like the flap wheels for polymer work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Anyone know what tip and/or technique makes this type of pattern.
    Just discovered your image. I'd say it's the 'Rail Road' tip offered by OT Defense.

Bit of a thread necro, but wanted to pick the brains of others on this topic.

I recently stippled the grip panels of my P30 in an effort to get better traction on it. For the first few days it seemed great but alas the stippling seems to have already worn down some (primarily on the left side as it rides against my undershirts.)

Attachment 31886
    Attachment 31887
    Attachment 31890

This was my first attempt at stippling really anything. No prep work of sanding, just went straight at it.

Seeing as how it’s not quite as functional as I’d like already after a relatively short time, what insights or suggestions do others here have for a future attempts? Is it better to stipple deeper in to the material? Any preferences on patterning? (I’m leaning towards more aggressive styles that will get me a real solid hold on the gun).
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List