Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your DIY stippling tips/tricks?

I've had good results with the OTD waffle tip, especially for less-aggressive patterns for CCW.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-16-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I use the medium blackstrap...
    Many a latex-clad folk share your passion.

Anyone know what tip and/or technique makes this type of pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you isolate a segment of it the best guess is a plus cut into a round shape.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If you isolate a segment of it the best guess is a plus cut into a round shape.
    I see it now, think I'm going to give that style a try. The tip on the top left looks like it might work with a little modification . Thanks Tom.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 06-16-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Which one of you master DIY'ers wants to do a P2000?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Anyone know what tip and/or technique makes this type of pattern.
    You can take a 10x24 brass flathead bolt and use a dremel cutoff wheel to make an asymmetric checkerboard pattern on it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Which one of you master DIY'ers wants to do a P2000?
    I'd do it for free no problem, if I lived near ya!

One thing I have found about stippling; A finer stipple looks better, like some of the pics above, but it is not nearly as grippy as a courser stipple as in the pics I posted. I've done a fine tip stipple job on a Glock, and it worked fine for casual use, but man when my hands got sweaty or when it rained on a course, it was not nearly as good as the stipple I do now.

I suggest using an old AR grip or a toy gun to practice on and see what you like before you stipple a plastic framed gat. A fine stipple is easy to fix, and course stipple is fixable, but you have to remove a lot more material to fix it.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that if you want to make a straight line, you can use painters tape as a guide and stipple along the edge of it. A pencil helps mark out borders as well.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 06-16-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added stuff, fixed grammar

I used the 6 dollar wood burner kit from Walmart. The first stipple job I did was on a G17 that I've now sold, I didn't sand it down prior. It came out okay but kind of amateur looking. I would definitely recommend sanding it down with a dremel first. If you do that, no matter what tip it will probably come out pretty decent..assuming you have decent fine motor skills lol.

Here's a pic of my go to G19 that I did. Minimal effort, minimal cost....I think it came out okay.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2404
Size:  80.6 KB
    Last edited by BES; 06-16-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I'd do it for free no problem, if I lived near ya!

One thing I have found about stippling; A finer stipple looks better, like some of the pics above, but it is not nearly as grippy as a courser stipple as in the pics I posted. I've done a fine tip stipple job on a Glock, and it worked fine for casual use, but man when my hands got sweaty or when it rained on a course, it was not nearly as good as the stipple I do now.

I suggest using an old AR grip or a toy gun to practice on and see what you like before you stipple a plastic framed gat. A fine stipple is easy to fix, and course stipple is fixable, but you have to remove a lot more material to fix it.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that if you want to make a straight line, you can use painters tape as a guide and stipple along the edge of it. A pencil helps mark out borders as well.
    I've done a little stippling on a few guns. No way I'm touching th P2000 lol. I'm not sure if it's the equipment or me, but man it comes out horrible.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List