Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Arm and train homosexuals

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Copied from where I posted it in the DD/Academy discussion.

Segregating firearms by looks - I had this same convo last night at dinner with a friend who is a member of the gay community. Knowing I am a gun guy he asked me why a civilian would want what he called a "fully automatic" assault rifle like the Orlando shooter used. He was respectful about it and said he wanted to get my take before he dug in on his opinion. Our conversation went something like this ....

Me: Do you even know what "automatic" means?
    Him: Stammers a little about "fully automated". (clear he didn't even know what it meant other than bang bang bang - he was picturing the shooter praying & spraying in full auto mode for 3 hours inside the club).
    Me: ~Insert discussion of automatic vs semiautomatic followed by a discussion about how AR rifles "look" scary but aren't any different than other semiautomatic rifles. They just look like what people have seen in the hands of the military for years.~
    Me: Do you remember the pics I posted of O (my now 12yo daughter) shooting that little pink rifle? You commented positively on it at the time.
    Him: Yes.
    Me: That rifle is basically the same thing. It holds the same amount of rounds, shoots at the same rate of fire, and the bullet is pretty much the same size. (Ruger 10/22)

I offered to take him shooting next week. His eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas. Score one for "our" team. I think I just won him over to "our" side.

VolGrad - this ^^^^ should be the preface to a training manual. Well done, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    First I said leftist, not liberal.

The term homosexual means attracted to the same sex. my point is that it is sad that a basic term like that can somehow become offensive. We shouldn't purposely try to offend people but this is getting ridiculous.
    It's merely the euphemism treadmill; I mean, the term "retard" merely denotes a person suffering from "mental retardation", but popular consensus is that it's pretty offensive to call someone who is legitimately suffering from intellectual disability a "retard". A phrasing that was previously neutral and purely descriptive can easily become offensive if consistently used in a disparaging manner, that's the nature of language, prescriptivism be damned.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-03-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    It's merely the euphemism treadmill; I mean, the term "retard" merely denotes a person suffering from "mental retardation", but popular consensus is that it's pretty offensive to call someone who is legitimately suffering from intellectual disability a "retard". A phrasing that was previously neutral and purely descriptive can easily become offensive if consistently used in a disparaging manner, that's the nature of language, prescriptivism be damned.
    This!

Lots of things get coopted and ruined. Remember the confederate flag?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

If you're trying to reach out to the LGBT community, go ahead guys, ignore the politically correct terms. Push back against the euphemism treadmill. It's your business and its a free country. I'm not sure you'll get very far, but then again, who knows.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-03-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    If you're trying to reach out to the LGBT community, go ahead guys, ignore the politically correct terms. Push back against the euphemism treadmill. It's your business and its a free country. I'm not sure you'll get very far, but then again, who knows.
    A lot of guys are doing well with the outreach, actually.
    #RESIST

If I were in the training biz and wanted to reach out to the LGBT community, I'd advertise classes in the local LGBT community using the same copy I use everywhere else. I might emphasize that I could train individuals or groups, but I'd just leave the queer/homosexual/LGBT labeling out.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A lot of guys are doing well with the outreach, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If I were in the training biz and wanted to reach out to the LGBT community, I'd advertise classes in the local LGBT community using the same copy I use everywhere else. I might emphasize that I could train individuals or groups, but I'd just leave the queer/homosexual/LGBT labeling out.
    Been tried in Seattle, by activist members of the community, even paid advertising was refused.

I really wish Ray Carter hadn't passed away.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List