Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream duty set up...

To the OP:

Can you articulate why you think a wml is necessary for a SWAT Officer but not for a regular Patrol Officer? It seems to me that it is either needed or it's not. I would be interested in your thinking.

Obviously much on a duty belt is required by the agency. Much of that requirement is due to lowest common denominator. The more years I had on the more stuff I took off my belt and put in a go bag for the just in case stuff.

Gun
    Two spare mags (I would have went with one while changing the OEM spring every year, but two spares were required.)
    TDI knife behind mags.
    Taser (required for everyone)
    Radio.
    Old scorpion backup flashlight. Yeah I'm that old. Would have an even smaller light on my belt if in patrol today.

What I ditched to the preplanned calls or go bag:

rifle mag
    asp(actually switched to a 36 inch riot baton that sat with my riot stuff)
    larger flashlight
    spare pistol mag.
    second cuffs

ditched permanently: more problems than they solved.

pepper spray. Love the stuff in civilian life. But hate it for LEO. Having to go hands on during and after really sucks.
    ear bud
    radio mike

I'm sure I'm forgetting some small stuff.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

G19 w/ white light and Laser as primary.

ETS 22 round mag as reload.

S&W 442 as BUG in front left pocket as BUG.

Emerson folder.

Wilderness Flyer belt

Flip flops

shorts

T-shirt.

Not shown: Ray Bans. MEOW.

Ha! The older I get the more I look like a cowboy. Cowboy hat to block out the damaging sun's rays. Cataracts on the way. And while I tend to shy away from fighting I found cowboy boots to be quite effective if needed. Okay, the boots are because the older I get the more clumsy I am. Stubbing the toes in flops just sucks.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

If I showed a picture of my belt, I am sure the consensus would be that I'll get killed in the streets...

That aside, a few years back my dept started using this company to buy our "leather" gear from. I have found that it is much more comfortable in daily wear and it has held up well for the past 4 years. No keepers, uses Velcro to attach to the underbelt and the material is flexible while still stiff enough so that the gear doesn't move around.

http://duckbilllaw.com/

For you guys using the Velcro inner belt system instead of keepers, I'd love to hear your thoughts or experience. I don't normally use keepers as my external vest has a concealed suspender system that clips onto both the duty belt and inner belt. I'm not a 100% fan of it.
    Last edited by MD7305; 06-15-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    For you guys using the Velcro inner belt system instead keepers, I'd love to hear your thoughts or experience. I don't normally use keepers as my external vest has a concealed suspender system that clips onto both the duty belt and inner belt. I'm not a 100% fan of it.
    I just recently switched my tac rig to an HSGI velcro inner/outer setup. I like it so far. I don't see it lasting as long as a nice leather belt with keepers, but I imagine a few years for sure. It can be both better and also more difficult to get everything lined up just right, but so far, not a problem. You just have to take care when wrapping the outer belt around the inner belt.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I just recently switched my tac rig to an HSGI velcro inner/outer setup. I like it so far. I don't see it lasting as long as a nice leather belt with keepers, but I imagine a few years for sure. It can be both better and also more difficult to get everything lined up just right, but so far, not a problem. You just have to take care when wrapping the outer belt around the inner belt.
    Thanks, did you find you had to move some items so the Velcro had enough "grip" to keep your belt up?

With the duckbill gear, once it locks into place, it never moves. Very grippy Velcro, everything on the belt is exactly where I want it. Didn't have to move anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Thanks, did you find you had to move some items so the Velcro had enough "grip" to keep your belt up?
    I have a pretty small waist, and had to go down a size in belt from what they recommended. Then I had to get them to add 6" of velcro to one side and 4" to the other. Now it works great.

I keep 3 safariland single mag pouches on the left side, 2 taco rifle pouches behind that, one of which is stacked with a pistol mag pouch. I put a multitool in there. Then I have a single taco pistol pouch which holds my SF flashlight. On the right side I have a horizontal cell phone pouch, then my ALS, then a cuff pouch. The small of my back is free, and will likely get a dump pouch. Trauma gear is carried elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

G19 w/ white light and Laser as primary.

ETS 22 round mag as reload.

S&W 442 as BUG in front left pocket as BUG.

Emerson folder.

Wilderness Flyer belt

Flip flops

shorts

T-shirt.

Not shown: Ray Bans. MEOW.

This pretty well represents how I worked the last couple of years. It will definitely be hard to leave behind.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    To the OP:

Can you articulate why you think a wml is necessary for a SWAT Officer but not for a regular Patrol Officer? It seems to me that it is either needed or it's not. I would be interested in your thinking.

pepper spray. Love the stuff in civilian life. But hate it for LEO. Having to go hands on during and after really sucks.
    First....agree 100% with the OC. Used it a lot, didn't find it particularly effective and hated going hands on after. For off-duty use I like it a lot.

My thoughts on the WML....all of this is just my experience and I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone. I used one until I left patrol. There is a strong likelihood I'll return to using it when I go back to patrol, but I've definitely given consideration to ditching it.

In patrol there were times I found the WML useful in building searches, etc., while on patrol, but really not that often. On patrol I with the WML I always had an M4 handy with WML. Any time I really needed the WML I was using the rifle. Felony (high risk, whatever) stops, higher risk building searches, K9 tracks, and the like. On traffic stops, terry stops, when approaching a loud party, suspicious person, etc., I already have a light in hand, and if something bad jumps off I already have a light in hand....

On SWAT the main function of the pistol (aside from secondary to the rifle) in my experience was using a shield which required one hand, therefore I find the WML useful. Also when climbing, checking attics, yada yada.

Just my $0.02 on the subject. Again not trying to change anyones minds, just ruminating on the idea, and the odds are my "better to have it and not need it" attitude will prevail and I'll keep it on in the long run.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

User Tag List