Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KBAR TDI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    It is a wonder I survived!
    In 2010, Austin, TX, Police Officer Frank Wilson was stabbed in the neck with his own fixed blade knife during an altercation with a suspect. My understanding from local sources is the knife was a TDI carried on the duty belt behind the officers magazines....

http://kut.org/post/austin-police-of...-kills-suspect

Austin police officer shot and killed a suspect late Thursday night, after an altercation in which the suspect stabbed the officer. Frank Wilson and another officer tried to pull over a car that ran a stop sign in Northwest Austin near Parmer and McNeil. The driver got out of the car and started running and then got into a fight with Wilson. The suspect reportedly grabbed Wilson’s knife and stabbed him. Wilson then shot the suspect, who died at the scene.
    See also:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/O...112428029.html
    Last edited by HCM; 06-14-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Good to go. Will post pix later.

Ive carried one daily at work for years and used it on occasion.
    What sheath did you use for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In 2010, Austin, TX, Police Officer Frank Wilson was stabbed in the neck with his own fixed blade knife during an altercation with a suspect. My understanding from local sources is the knife was a TDI carried on the duty belt behind the officers magazines....

http://kut.org/post/austin-police-of...-kills-suspect

See also:

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/O...112428029.html
    I'm curious what makes this knife easier to take than other fixed blades?

I carried this one duty for years, until I used it and now it sits somewhere in with other evidence.

I currently carry a TDI hinderer (bottom one) in an OEM sheath - it actually has a locking mechanism that you can defeat with your thumb, sort of like a duty gun holster.

Just a note - I would never tell anyone to carry either one of these with no training. You need to know how to deploy them, how to fight for retention and how to keep people you are fighting from using your own tools on you. Essentially it is the equivalent to a retained/duty firearm, if you understand how to keep it from the bad guy, and train towards that end, you'll be able to keep the blade retained and use it in tight situations.

I will always advocate having a blade in a position of ambi-access. It can have retention or not, concealment is the best retention.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Training is important with the TDI. It was designed with certain techniques in mind. I trained with John Benner and Greg Ellifritz shortly after the knife was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I used to carry open top magazine pouch and push knife behind it, until I got in a fight and took a glancing blow to the face with my own magazine. Ended up with two layers of stitches above my eyebrows and another broken nose. An inch lower would have been in the eye, and that would have been bad. A direct shot to the skull a little higher would have been lights out at a minimum if not drt. Had he grabbed the push knife behind my magazines I would have been in serious trouble. The 8 years with no problems was negated in a couple of seconds.

Everything on my belt is in snapped pouches, no visible knives, and pens have caps on the pointy ends.

I'm personally of the opinion these days that more stuff on the belt is just more dead weight to carry more stuff to lose.
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-14-2016 at 01:43 PM.

For what it's worth mine will always be concealed. I like the hinderer one as well. I might not need another sheath with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I'm curious what makes this knife easier to take than other fixed blades?

its not the knife itself, it's the method of carry, open carried on a duty belt with no retention because you believe its "hidden" behind your mag pouch.

Detailed discussion of the issue here: http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=2622

A year or two ago, they (KBAR) switched to a locking sheath to address the issue :

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/201

http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=9106

That locking sheath only seems useful to one hand. Original TDI was meant for ambi access.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Well designed for what it is, easy to use with standard old punching techniques, can be used as a utility knife in a pinch.

Downside is that the sheath is rather insecure, and easy to spot, and IMHO anyone actually wearing this thing behind a duty belt is at minimum kidding themselves, at worst setting themselves up to get the shit stabbed out of them by their own knife. Hence why I carry mine in a weak side pocket and draw it as one would draw a pocket pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Purpose designed tool. OEM sheath is utter shit. Poor retention and no concealment. Aftermarket options exist.
    Are you guys talking about in an LE environment/ open carry or as a civi/concealed. Any drawbacks in a civi/concealed role?

User Tag List