Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't think an AR is the answer....

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I polluted Rob S' thread on what AR to recommend to post Orlando panic buyers, and decided I should just start a new one.

I love long guns. In Alaska, I walk around with a long gun in my hands almost daily. Nobody thinks twice about someone walking around with a long gun around here.

However, in urban areas, for non LE I see the role of a long gun almost exclusively for home defense, and in a very limited number of situations outside your home. For a non LE person, I just don't see carrying a long gun around in the vehicle as very useful. You have to protect it from being stolen. It is added weight to carry in and out of the hotel room. It may not sit well with LE if you get pulled over. And, in an Orlando type situation, you will almost certainly be fighting with the gear that is on your body.

Not sure about you, but I don't want to be the dark haired male, not in uniform, grabbing my long gun and heading into a shooting situation, as it seems like a good way to identify yourself as a shoot target to an active shooter, law enforcement or a concerned citizen.

I don't disagree with you, I just (a) don't think it matters and (b) think it's a slippery logic slope, since it's not far to go from "you don't need an AR in your trunk" to you don't need a Glock 19 in your waistband". Statistically speaking, the likelihood that neither will be used is closer togther than the likelihood of either ever even being so much as brandished.

What Jack said

Chuck Haggard and I are on the same page of Active Shooter kits to "help". Mine is a big sling pack of medical stuff and a breaching ax. Figure I can be a better help to LE helping on the treatment of victim end at anything from a car crash to a shooting Han another guy with a rifle running around. LE has had issues in recent events with investigators with long guns generating more reports of additional shooters that divert resources for the actual problem.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I think the idea of retreating to your vehical to retrieve a long gun and heading back into an active shooter type situation is mostly Tactical Timmy fantasy. Unless you are a LEO or in a rural part of the country where you are not the top of the food chain l I don't see the point in a trunk gun. For all the reasons already mentioned. I know for me personally I was trained as an emt and will be much more helpful treating those injured. Other than stockpiling more 9mm I will be adding a lot more trauma gear to my first aid kit. With all that being said you want one go for it I might recomend something else especially if it is your only gun or first gun. Our strength is in numbers the more responsible gun owners the better.
    Last edited by The Apprentice; 06-13-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Chuck Haggard and I are on the same page of Active Shooter kits to "help". Mine is a big sling pack of medical stuff and a breaching ax. Figure I can be a better help to LE helping on the treatment of victim end at anything from a car crash to a shooting Han another guy with a rifle running around. LE has had issues in recent events with investigators with long guns generating more reports of additional shooters that divert resources for the actual problem.
    Yeah this. Exceptions are rural areas (I live in a National Forest) and extended stay trips out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    Part of Howe's handgun operator class was 50-80 yard shots on A-zone steel from cover if I remember the distance and target correctly. The idea was effective precision fire down hallways vs active shooters.

Love me some Paul Howe. Very down to earth, practical, and professional.
    Yep. From the doorways at the edge of the one range to the steel is 80 yards. And then from the entrance to the long hall of the old shoot house to the two steel targets is 60 yards. In AIT you get to do that one at night.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I polluted Rob S' thread on what AR to recommend to post Orlando panic buyers, and decided I should just start a new one.

I love long guns. In Alaska, I walk around with a long gun in my hands almost daily. Nobody thinks twice about someone walking around with a long gun around here.

However, in urban areas, for non LE I see the role of a long gun almost exclusively for home defense, and in a very limited number of situations outside your home. For a non LE person, I just don't see carrying a long gun around in the vehicle as very useful. You have to protect it from being stolen. It is added weight to carry in and out of the hotel room. It may not sit well with LE if you get pulled over. And, in an Orlando type situation, you will almost certainly be fighting with the gear that is on your body.

Not sure about you, but I don't want to be the dark haired male, not in uniform, grabbing my long gun and heading into a shooting situation, as it seems like a good way to identify yourself as a shoot target to an active shooter, law enforcement or a concerned citizen.
    I like my ARs and they would be the rifle I would grab were I to need one, but we share the same mind set.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    This.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Training" is the answer.
    Yeah.

Rich says: "Ooh! A long gun! Yes and a HK416 would be AWESOME! Totally Operator!"

Richard says: "You don't need that sh!t. Buy a case of ammo, book that defensive pistol class and CARRY YOUR DAMN GUN*"

I know who I need to listen to.

* Thank you Mr. Givens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Yeah.

Rich says: "Ooh! A long gun! Yes and a HK416 would be AWESOME! Totally Operator!"

Richard says: "You don't need that sh!t. Buy a case of ammo, book that defensive pistol class and CARRY YOUR DAMN GUN*"

I know who I need to listen to.

* Thank you Mr. Givens.
    I didn't realize that it was a binary decision. Why not both?

User Tag List