Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't think an AR is the answer....

Site Supporter
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...e-court-224538

The court’s decision Monday to reject separate challenges to each state’s law leaves in place measures that ban weapons like the one used in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that left 20 children and six faculty members dead. Those laws also prohibit the sale of the type of gun used by terrorist Omar Mateen to kill 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...#ixzz4C8Pp34NN
    I think that this reinforces my view (oh, I'm so smart ) that Heller had a terrible flaw in it. Also, as in other threads, the EBR/MSR debate is not won by the lame PR nice gun strategy. Can be it won at all? Interesting question for the future.

However, if there ever was a new Federal AWB, don't count on the SCOTUS rescuing that part of the RKBA.

http://www.theatlantic.com/news/arch...eapons/487802/ Big win for gun control is how it is seen.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 06-20-2016 at 11:23 AM.

I'd rather the court not hear a case now, anyway. The best we could hope for is a 4-4 ruling that would leave original laws in place, and that's a best case scenario. I don't trust Kennedy to come down on the right side of this, so it could easily go 5-3 and then there's Supreme Court case law saying AWB is okay.

I say that as a cook county resident whose only prayer for an AR is Supreme Court ruling in our favor in Wilson or a similar case, or convincing my bride to move away from her family despite the fact that we have a baby due in November.

If anyone needs me I'll be at the gun shop accepting my fate and looking at 12 gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    My view ;

For most Americans who live in communities and not in backwoods country, an AR is a recreational instrument. A civil problem bad enough to need one is a problem best solved by leaving the area it's happening in .
    Agree completely. It's often the true (A) answer to problems people think they will solve with handguns.

Insofar as truck/ car guns go, a "ballistic problem" generally starts and ends long before one can even reach the interior latch to unlock such a device. If a personal defense issue arises it'll have to be solved by whatever weapon the targeted person has on their person at that moment,period. That's probably gonna be a pistol.
    Agree again. But, again, CQC-fantasies aside, the real solution to the gun problem in a car is to not get yourself into a position where you have a gun problem in a car. Homeboy steps to your open window and points a Bersa at your head, that AIWB Glock 34 isn't doing you much more good than the AR in the trunk.

Owning one to dodge the antis also strikes me as misguided. They won't accept grandfathering anything in whatever laws may pass down the road. Even if they did, lawful transference would be probably banned: so no handing the AR down to the kids as an inheritance.

]It also impinges on the "self defense" rationale if ARs become illegal down the road. Why risk a gun that's either legally and/ or financially impossible to replace when a 12 gauge 870 will defend home and hearth for less ?
    Disagree. Outright banning/confiscating firearms is sofar pretty much unprecedented in US history. Event the various NFA bans have allowed for grandfathering, as well as provisions for transferring. Did the antis learn their lesson from the sunsetting AWB and the various dodges around it? I dunno. But I also know that a lot of the people I meet these days in the gun world aren't even old enough to remember the AWB, or certainly to have owned any guns before/during.

Lastly- and this is why I don't own one myself- shooting it eats limited resources better spent on pistols. The carry gun is used and toted much more often then any long gun, AR or otherwise. AR ammunition unfortunately isn't priced to reflect this.

If shooting and training ammo is limited by time , logistics,and other factors -the rifle takes a backseat role to the carry pistol,all else held equal.
    Which begs the uncomfortable question of why even own one to begin with, if every round fired in an AR represents a lost chance to improve with the handgun which is far more likely to be used in a life and death event.
    If one's sole purpose for owning guns is defense, and one's own SHTFantasy is solely predicated on pistol problems, I agree completely with this rationale.

ETA:

I also see the silly shit many people burn money on. Given the relatively low cost of initial investment, my answer to the "why buy an AR?" question is "why NOT buy an AR?" If the response to that is "I don't have the $1200 it would take to get a quality sample, some mags, and some ammo" I would suggest a career change.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-20-2016 at 11:03 AM.

So what is the commentary on people that were stuck during Katrina whom formed armed perimeters, often employing black rifles to do so, to ward off the roving bands of gangs which probably consisted of a lot of the convicts they opened the jails to and let them walk. Reportedly these were the areas least affected by violent assaults and they didn't find women gang rapped and stuffed into refrigerator's...

I can say that even in NJ when Sandy hit and people were going around trying to steel other peoples generators and doing home invasions a few people ended up looking down the wrong end of some rifles.

These were not backwoods areas.

Then there is the line, which is different for everyone im sure, at which point you decide, you are not willing to run and hide and allow your lifes work to be taken from you. LA riots and Fergusson come to mind.

In my opinion, if you have the means to fill your tool box with as many diverse tools as possible, why wouldn't you? (Training a given)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    So what is the commentary on people that were stuck during Katrina whom formed armed perimeters, often employing black rifles to do so, to ward off the roving bands of gangs which probably consisted of a lot of the convicts they opened the jails to and let them walk. Reportedly these were the areas least affected by violent assaults and they didn't find women gang rapped and stuffed into refrigerator's...

I can say that even in NJ when Sandy hit and people were going around trying to steel other peoples generators and doing home invasions a few people ended up looking down the wrong end of some rifles.

These were not backwoods areas.

Then there is the line, which is different for everyone im sure, at which point you decide, you are not willing to run and hide and allow your lifes work to be taken from you. LA riots and Fergusson come to mind.

In my opinion, if you have the means to fill your tool box with as many diverse tools as possible, why wouldn't you? (Training a given)
    This is my position. I'm not in the Army anymore. I'm not in the land of bad things. My AR is not an everyday tool - it's a recreational tool more than anything. My son's is a hunting rifle. But they are both tools that can be used when things get worse than we hope they will go, and we have several domestic examples and many foreign examples of just how bad things can get, and for me, life experiences seeing some of those situations first hand, to the point that I am much happier having one than not.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Agree again. But, again, CQC-fantasies aside, the real solution to the gun problem in a car is to not get yourself into a position where you have a gun problem in a car. Homeboy steps to your open window and points a Bersa at your head, that AIWB Glock 34 isn't doing you much more good than the AR in the trunk.
    How many attempt carjackings involving a shooting have you investigated?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

If you have some advice, I would like to hear it.

Site Supporter
    My grandmother lived in Long Beach, on Long Island in NY. Very nice beach oriented suburban community. Enjoyed the board walk and that was the first time I shot a little ol' pump 22 short at an arcade.

After Sandy, the NY Times published a picture of a guy sitting in front of his nice flooded house with a pump shotgun because of looters. Even in NY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post

Rooftop Koreans / Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Zero.

And then, outside of gunforums commandos and cops who do so for a living, nor do I know of any where an armed victim would have made a lick of difference.

Everyone is a victim of their own frame of reference. Cops who investigate such things tend to fall victim to thinking they are more frequent than they really are, and people who spend too much time on gun forums looking for reasons to arm themselves, generally find said reasons.

User Tag List