Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The old-school ways?

Field Training is better...to an extent. You don't have the salty dude reading his paper all day and not teaching you shit, but the 3-year wonder of today that's an FTO isn't much improvement either. There needs to be more incentive keeping senior dogs teaching young pups. You don't know anything enough to teach a young probationary officer at 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Yeah, the gear is so much lighter.
    Unfortunately, there is a whole lot more of it to lug around.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Your backup will be sober.

They might be sober, but suffering from sleep deprivation due to 12 hour shifts with long commutes.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Good thread... I like reading this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfE4NjiJtiA some old school ways in this old NYPD docu ... If anyone is interested. (I love the old school ways of the NYPD and reading stuff like Pat Rogers would say about it)
    Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; 01-24-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The only thing I can contribute to this thread is this old photo of two NYPD officers:

Name:  1970s Unknown Policemen New York City Vintage 35mm slide.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  39.2 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

^^^Hall and Oates meet The Village People.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Your backup will be sober.
    Not necessarily...

Mid last year I was part of the supervisory crew that had a guy terminated for showing up at the legal limit. The guys that came from his former agency gave us the silent treatment for a few weeks for calling the bosses, while the guys who came from other agencies pissed and moaned about the blue wall of silence.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-24-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Not necessarily...

Mid last year I was part of the supervisory crew that had a guy terminated for showing up at the legal limit. The guys that came from his former agency gave us the silent treatment for a few weeks for calling the bosses, while the guys who came from other agencies pissed and moaned about the blue wall of silence.

pat
    If it weren't for certain, um, allowances back in the 80's and 90's I doubt I'd have made it until retirement eligibility. There was a lot more leeway back then...whether driving, pub crawling, showing up on a call-out after one or the other etc. I'm glad to have lived through and survived those days. I also understand why they're no longer acceptable.

I wouldn't trade some of it, though. The stories...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Before we were on digital radios, a drunken officer calling on the air for a specific officer to drop by her apartment on a quiet night. That was ingeresting briefing the next day.

Smart alec remarks on the radio being applauded by a keyed mike being rubbed on a polyester clad...errr...thigh.

A Native American FTO using the PA to convince an intoxicated native (in Navajo and English) staggering down the street that his deceased grandfather was disappointed in him in the next world.

Some of my cohorts got tired of homeless camps and started pepper spraying sleeping bags, pillows, and the mouths of at least 2 40oz beer bottles.

Not being able to hook drunks on DWIs for whatever technical reason, so illegally stopped/parked cars were towed, and legally parked ones some how got the keys locked in the trunk.

I actuall have a roll call story from a recent pursuit and use of force where the Chief congratulated me for knowing when it was time to...forcibly subdue someone, doing it well, knowing when to stop, and then documenting it well.

Any one else recall Pat Rogers' story about failing the hiring physical, what, three times?

I am sure I will think of more later.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If it weren't for certain, um, allowances back in the 80's and 90's I doubt I'd have made it until retirement eligibility. There was a lot more leeway back then...whether driving, pub crawling, showing up on a call-out after one or the other etc. I'm glad to have lived through and survived those days. I also understand why they're no longer acceptable.

I wouldn't trade some of it, though. The stories...
    Do share, once the statue has run, of course. During my rookie years a couple of old salts were sent to the gym on "special assignment" to sober up.

pat

User Tag List