Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon RF-100 Automatic Primer Filler?

Dillon RF-100 Automatic Primer Filler?

I recently picked one up and got it set up on the bench so that it is level both left to right and front to back. I have the screw that secures the plastic feeder set so the feeder floats, I have adjusted the rheostat control and I am still getting a few primers (4-5/100) that hang up sideways going into the tube. Any of you guys have any experience with the RF-100 and have some tips to share? Thanks.

The failsafe solution I've come up with to avoid primers winding up upside down in the tube and subsequently in my casing that way is simply watching them as they drop. If I get one that flips, I stop the machine, dump out 2 or 3 and then continue.

Re adjustments, the biggest thing I've done that helps is beveling the edge of the plastic colored insert where the primer drops. If it isn't lined up perfectly, the square edge bumps the primer on the way in and kicks it up onto it's side. By squishing the edges of the plastic slightly where the primers enter, it seems to remedy some of the problem. Still not 100%, but aside from adjusting the rheostat correctly, it's the thing that seems to have helped the most.

I've also noticed that if the line of primers gets too long (like when all the primers start already in the hopper) and they're pushing too hard on the one that's dropping, the incidence of flipping seems higher. Along those lines, when I dump a new card of primers, I let them drop from the clear plastic housing into the hopper slowly via the machine's vibration instead of pushing them all in at once, if that makes sense. It seems to help a little. I also adjust the clear plastic "stabilizer plate" a touch more snugly than recommended and find this does the same thing; holds up the line a little and takes some pressure of the primer that is currently dropping.

As a disclaimer, I've only owned my RF-100 for 6 months or so. These are just some uneducated tweaks that seem to help. And while the machine is fiddley and a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, it beats the tar out of bending over and picking primers up via the tube, one by one, IMO. I LOVE the thing and despite everything consider it one of my best reloading investments. [shrug]

Also, check this guy's video out. I've not tried his solution yet, but he seems to think it makes a big difference…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXB40qgMV0

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    The failsafe solution I've come up with to avoid primers winding up upside down in the tube and subsequently in my casing that way is simply watching them as they drop. If I get one that flips, I stop the machine, dump out 2 or 3 and then continue.

Re adjustments, the biggest thing I've done that helps is beveling the edge of the plastic colored insert where the primer drops. If it isn't lined up perfectly, the square edge bumps the primer on the way in and kicks it up onto it's side. By squishing the edges of the plastic slightly where the primers enter, it seems to remedy some of the problem. Still not 100%, but aside from adjusting the rheostat correctly, it's the thing that seems to have helped the most.

I've also noticed that if the line of primers gets too long (like when all the primers start already in the hopper) and they're pushing too hard on the one that's dropping, the incidence of flipping seems higher. Along those lines, when I dump a new card of primers, I let them drop from the clear plastic housing into the hopper slowly via the machine's vibration instead of pushing them all in at once, if that makes sense. It seems to help a little. I also adjust the clear plastic "stabilizer plate" a touch more snugly than recommended and find this does the same thing; holds up the line a little and takes some pressure of the primer that is currently dropping.

As a disclaimer, I've only owned my RF-100 for 6 months or so. These are just some uneducated tweaks that seem to help. And while the machine is fiddley and a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, it beats the tar out of bending over and picking primers up via the tube, one by one, IMO. I LOVE the thing and despite everything consider it one of my best reloading investments. [shrug]

Also, check this guy's video out. I've not tried his solution yet, but he seems to think it makes a big difference…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXB40qgMV0

t
    This is good stuff, thank you!
    Last edited by dsa; 06-13-2016 at 12:27 AM.

This may not be the answer you're looking for. After fooling with the Dillon Primer filler for a couple of years, I now use a Frankford Primer Filler. There really is no comparison. The Frankford tool works much better for a fraction of the cost, without all the fiddling.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-13-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I live-and-die by the RF100: You can't run automated Dillon 1050 without this thing - I have it loading primers while I babysit the machine.

The big key point it the plastic "guide" that limits primers from entering the final ~1" of the "railway". You need to ensure that it is down far enough so that primers cannot tip sideways when they enter the "blue orifice"... Additionally, you need to make sure that only 1 primer can enter that "home-stretch" of the railway but still tumble out if they're upside-down.

Might take a few tries to get it where it is lined up ... huuurrrrr ... just right, but the results will be worth it.

I tend to run the filler with the rheostat at a moderate, moderate-low setting.

Loaded 500rds this morning and it is running like a top. Thanks for the tips.

How many small primers can you pre-fill into the machine at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    How many small primers can you pre-fill into the machine at a time?

Ok thanks. I know the tube will only hold 100 but was hoping I might be able to add a few boxes at a time to the filler itself. I have one on order now.

Had mine about a week now. Still trying to get it adjusted right. Getting about 5-10% flipped or sideways primers. Right now Im still experimenting w different speeds and mainly keeping it around halfway. Havent played w trying to adjust the runway plate yet

User Tag List