Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Quick shipping AIWB?

I'm not. Just some self depreciating humor. For reference, in addition to being an end user, I handle the website, marketing etc. and Dave is the guy with the many many years of production knowledge. I just want to make sure I have my facts straight before I answer your question. I'm not a production guy myself. I am finding this topic interesting and I don't want to come across as argumentative.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If you're taking this as yelling please don't. I am merely questioning the statements made that do not line up with what I know to be the norm in the holster market. Enough things contradict the norm so I had to ask.

That's a rather bold statement. I do know that 3 of the main suppliers other than Kydex the company has had Kydex V at one point or another but it was noted as such. Currently I do not see it for sale anywhere. You're the first to note that non-recycled kydex is hard to work with though... Seems like everyone else does just fine with it.

I misspoke, we use Kydex 100. The Kydex T is what I was referring to.

I'm not sure where you are finding this list of manufacturers but there aren't many that don't use 0.080" Kydex T and they don't seem to be having issues getting it pliable enough to form. It's not magic.

Raven, JM Custom, Keepers, etc. If you do a Google search you'll find among the first few hits that they even state 0.080" and some offer thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by MTGholsters View Post
    Hey sorry, Im not really a forum guy so Im botching up the quotes etc. Let me check with Dave and Ill get back to you. He is the real guru when it comes to the Kydex production. I would hate to get yelled at by both of you hahaha
    - Will
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, my comment about not buying your holster was due to the fact it does not have the things I look for in an AIWB. If I was still carrying IWB on a regular basis I'd have no problem giving one of your holsters a try.

I'm not. Just some self depreciating humor. For reference, in addition to being an end user, I handle the website, marketing etc. and Dave is the guy with the many many years of production knowledge. I just want to make sure I have my facts straight before I answer your question. I'm not a production guy myself. I am finding this topic interesting and I don't want to come across as argumentative.
    - Will
    Look forward to hearing from him.

So,
    I need to clarify some of my comments. Earlier I mentioned recycled Kydex® and there are some large manufactures that actually use it. However, I was under the impression that all Kydex® less than Kydex® 100 was in fact recycled which is not the case. So, to clarify, we use genuine virgin Kydex® T on our MultiCam® fabric products and on all other products we use Kydex® 100 (which is not at all common in the holster industry). We plan on converting our entire line including fabric covered products to Kydex® 100 very soon. So, what's the difference? and why should you care? Well, Kydex 100 will last longer than Kydex T (I know this from personal experience) and the edges are less porous. It is also better adapted to extreme temperatures as it is the highest quality Kydex® out there. You can ask holster manufacturers what quality they use and they should be able to tell you. If they mention "propriatorey blend" etc. then it is more than likely recycled and not even Kydex® brand.
    Hope that clarifies things a bit.
    Thanks,
    Will
    Last edited by MTGholsters; 06-29-2016 at 09:19 PM.

The edges are less porous? Can you expound on that a little?

Also, when you quality how are you defining that? I'm not following your material selection process. Kydex 100 and Kydex T are just different grades with nearly identical properties. Kydex is merely one brand of many that make extruded plastic sheets.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The edges are less porous? Can you expound on that a little?

Also, when you quality how are you defining that? I'm not following your material selection process. Kydex 100 and Kydex T are just different grades with nearly identical properties. Kydex is merely one brand of many that make extruded plastic sheets.

Ok, well first of all my prior post was to clarify that I had misspoke regarding the recycled Kydex. I also think that if we are going to continue on this topic maybe we should take it to a dedicated thread so that this one isn't highjacked. Kydex® 100 is the top of the line Kydex® brand "Alloy" thermoplastic and is considered "super tough" compared to Kydex® T which is considered "cost competitive" and is not an alloy sheet. Kydex® 100 is going to be less susceptible to warping under heat and extreme temperatures as it is more dense (anyone ever leave their holster in the sun or on a hot dash?). It is typically used in high impact type products as well as medical components. It also has a higher density than Kydex® T thus less susceptible to chemicals and cleaning solvents (less porous edges). I know from personal experience that OWB holsters made from Kydex® 100 will far outlast comparable Kydex® T holsters. Thats just personal experience wearing them in very harsh conditions for years at a time.

To wrap this up, we really don't care if other manufacturers, such as yourself, use Kydex® 100 or not. Actually we hope you don't as the general feel and durability is superior to Kydex® T and is one of the things that sets us apart from the majority of manufactures. My point is that MTG Holsters does use genuine Kydex® and in most cases we use the very best that they have to offer which is Kydex® 100. The forum members that purchase one will notice the difference and it will become clear. As I said before, we will be converting our entire line to Kydex® 100 very soon but for now the heat needed to form .80 Kydex® 100 is too high for our popular fabric lined products.
    Regards,
    Will

Ok, well first of all my prior post was to clarify that I had misspoke regarding the recycled Kydex. I also think that if we are going to continue on this topic maybe we should take it to a dedicated thread so that this one isn't highjacked. Kydex® 100 is the top of the line Kydex® brand "Alloy" thermoplastic and is considered "super tough" compared to Kydex® T which is considered "cost competitive" and is not an alloy sheet. Kydex® 100 is going to be less susceptible to warping under heat and extreme temperatures as it is more dense (anyone ever leave their holster in the sun or on a hot dash?). It is typically used in high impact type products as well as medical components. It also has a higher density than Kydex® T thus less susceptible to chemicals and cleaning solvents (less porous edges). I know from personal experience that OWB holsters made from Kydex® 100 will far outlast comparable Kydex® T holsters. Thats just personal experience wearing them in very harsh conditions for years at a time.

To wrap this up, we really don't care if other manufacturers, such as yourself, use Kydex® 100 or not. Actually we hope you don't as the general feel and durability is superior to Kydex® T and is one of the things that sets us apart from the majority of manufactures. My point is that MTG Holsters does use genuine Kydex® and in most cases we use the very best that they have to offer which is Kydex® 100. The forum members that purchase one will notice the difference and it will become clear. As I said before, we will be converting our entire line to Kydex® 100 very soon but for now the heat needed to form .80 Kydex® 100 is too high for our popular fabric lined products.
    Regards,
    Will
    Kydex 100 is an alloy sheet and Kydex T is not, is that correct? What is an alloy sheet and how does that matter for our purposes?

Warping... Kydex T and Kydex 100 carry the same suggestions for forming temperatures, how does Kydex 100 warp less?

When you say tough, what specifically does that mean? Can you quantify the differences?

Are you saying that Kydex T is porous and Kydex 100 is not?

What other plastics did you consider other than Kydex?

Ok, well first of all my prior post was to clarify that I had misspoke regarding the recycled Kydex.
    And I genuinely do appreciate the correction, as well as the continued back and forth.

Kydex 100 is an alloy sheet and Kydex T is not, is that correct? What is an alloy sheet and how does that matter for our purposes?

Warping... Kydex T and Kydex 100 carry the same suggestions for forming temperatures, how does Kydex 100 warp less?

When you say tough, what specifically does that mean? Can you quantify the differences?

Are you saying that Kydex T is porous and Kydex 100 is not?

What other plastics did you consider other than Kydex?
    We only use genuine Kydex® products. You can see the spec sheets for the Kydex® T and Kydex® 100 on their website www.kydex.com I guess a lot of your questions will be answered once you either attempt to use it or purchase one of our Kydex® 100 products. I appreciate the back and forth as well but I think its getting into minutiae at this point and most of your questions can be answered by a Kydex® rep. or by trying out the material yourself.
    Will

Having read the sheets is why I have the questions.

I'm still rather curious on the porosity comment though.

Also... You mentioned that Kydex 100 is an alloy sheet and Kydex T is not, correct? Is that why Kydex 100 is viewed as better?

User Tag List