My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/lg...shooting-range

News

LGBT turnout for free course surprises local shooting range

By Ryan Korsgard - Reporter

Posted: 6:05 PM, June 22, 2016

Updated: 6:50 PM, June 22, 2016
    HOUSTON - It was a unique offer by the Shiloh Shooting Range in northwest Harris County, just days after the shooting at the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando. Shiloh offered free gun classes to the LGBT community and hundreds of people responded.

"We learned gun safety,” said Jared Anthony. “We learned that it's not ... it's a big responsibility. If you do carry, it's something that you do need to take seriously. You are providing ... you're providing a service to the community really."
    Local shooting range offers free CHL course to LGBT community

Anthony was one of the more than 300 people who responded to Shiloh’s offer of free concealed carry classes. The calls kept coming.

"They're not necessarily what we've been told and we're not necessarily what they've been told,” said Shiloh owner Jeff Sanford.

He said the classes broke barriers. In the first class, he said 60 of 62 who signed up showed up. He said that was a record for a free class.

"Everybody has been so excited about being able to come out and do this. And it's been a great learning experience for not only my community but for their community as well," Sanford said. "They're learning about their rights and learning about the License to Carry Class and they're absolutely thrilled to take it."

Two communities introduced following a tragedy. Two worlds with a better understanding.

“I think they should be supported for what they provide to our community," Anthony said.

Sanford said the offer would continue until everyone has been trained. For more information, he said to email info@shilohshooting.com.

2016 Click2Houston/KPRC2

1 hour ago
    James Johnson
    And that is how you help educate the on-the-fence folks. Bravo.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Slight tangent: Unfortunately, that place takes the prize for the worst indoor range ventilation I've ever experienced. Walked in, didn't even set my gear down, turned around and walked back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    And that is how you help educate the on-the-fence folks. Bravo.
    Ditto. That is freaking awesome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/lg...shooting-range

News

LGBT turnout for free course surprises local shooting range

This is why the United States is the single greatest country on earth.

While out and about yesterday, I grabbed the free local GBLT rag at a news stand - pretty much a tame gay oriented lifestyle magazine for the Twin Cities. The cover design grabbed me.

Name:  Spirit-of-76-Cover.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  56.8 KB

Imagine my surprise when I read the editorial inside.

Here are the first two paragraphs*:

"The tragedy in Orlando, Fla. is a lesson in history and a painful one at that. This coward struck at our community attacking harmless, defenseless, innocuous, average Americans, members of a community who did no harm to him or his. The wanton taking of life because of his intolerance is such a barbaric act as to strike our community to its heart. To average, thinking people it is incomprehensible. To non-average, thinking people it was expected for a long time.

Much has been said as to why this was “allowed to occur.” Contrary to those running for president who wish to take political advantage in this time of tragedy, this is not an issue of access to guns, nor it is an issue about immigration. This cowardly attack is solely an issue of religion."

I was a bit gobsmacked in a good way.

The greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul region apparently has the largest gay population in the upper central US- bigger than Chicago, and possibly even bigger than NYC. That this opinion is in print and very wide dissemination is huge.

LL

(* Mods- if this is too large an excerpt under fair use, please let me know. I don't want to step on any toes.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

The author is speaking some hard truth there. Glad to see it got out, maybe a few more will see the light.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I like how both replies are from The Community and both are negative towards the article. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I like how both replies are from The Community and both are negative towards the article. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    Hmnh- there are two letters to the editor in the print version that are completely different, and much more in line of thinking with the article. Meets the demand of the printing schedules, I guess.
    (and yes, those two digital replies are rote version bone-headed non-thinking. Erase this article, yeah sure, that'll make the bad thoughts go away.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Much has been said as to why this was “allowed to occur.” Contrary to those running for president who wish to take political advantage in this time of tragedy, this is not an issue of access to guns, nor it is an issue about immigration. This cowardly attack is solely an issue of religion."
    Well...one religion.

User Tag List