Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 4X4 SUV?

Site Supporter

Which 4X4 SUV?

The snow apocalypse currently hitting the mid Atlantic is really pissing off my wife. Previously she had a Jeep Liberty. She loved it. I hated it. The few times I rode in the liberty I thought "who do they make these for? Munchkins?".
    This past summer she reluctantly traded the jeep for a Ford Escape. She liked it but was concerned about snow. The jeep went well in the snow. Wife is not digging the how the escape performed last night so time for a new 4x4. It appears that nobody makes a small SUV 4x4 anymore. If money was not an issue I would just get a land cruiser. But that's not going to happen. I am thinking a 4Runner of a Tacoma quad cab. Any suggestions?

Love my subaru outback.

Go with your gut, 4Runner or Tacoma Double Cab.

For snow specifically I would look first to Surbaru Outback and Forester. The all around handling of those vehicles in normal conditions is awfully good with the bonus of the snow traction. My son's reports of his '04 Outback with Michelin X-ice up in the Anchorage area are pretty strong.

The Toyotas for more BA factor of course.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In Alaska, we run a 4Runner and Forrester with Nokia studded tires, and both perform great in snow and on ice. The tires are key.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Winter tires if its actually about performance in the snow. If it's an excuse to get something new, whatever tickles your fancy.

Doesn't Ford make an AWD Esacape?

In that size the Subaru is a great candidate. Next size up, our Grand Cherokee has been great. Its a beast in bad weather. Its the only one that has matched or exceeded our Subaru's in terms of bad weather confidence. But the Hemi in the Jeep is a nice bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In Alaska, we run a 4Runner and Forrester with Nokia studded tires, and both perform great in snow and on ice. The tires are key.
    You aren't supposed to run those when there is no snow, right?

I used a setup like that in AK a few years ago. Worked well on the snow covered roads.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    You aren't supposed to run those when there is no snow, right?

I used a setup like that in AK a few years ago. Worked well on the snow covered roads.
    Without looking it up (there are signs with exact dates), I believe We are legal for studs from Oct 15-May 15, regardless of snow pack. The studs are good in snow, but on ice they are night and day better.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List