Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Changing Makeup of Our Day to Day Lives and Your Training

The only thing these events have made me reconsider is whether I want to carry with a WML. I know how much better I shoot with two hands on the gun and the improved ability to hit does appeal. The quandary is that the holster I have for the WML requires substantially more dressing around the gun.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The only thing these events have made me reconsider is whether I want to carry with a WML. I know how much better I shoot with two hands on the gun and the improved ability to hit does appeal. The quandary is that the holster I have for the WML requires substantially more dressing around the gun.
    I am in the same situaton. I generaly prefer a WML on my handgun.

Unfortunately, as my X300s have become unserviceable and have been replaced with X300Us, I have not been able to find a holster that meets my needs.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I am in the same situaton. I generaly prefer a WML on my handgun.

Unfortunately, as my X300s have become unserviceable and have been replaced with X300Us, I have not been able to find a holster that meets my needs.
    How about the XC1? Nice and compact but bright with good flood, and easy to conceal.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For me, carrying a handgun and ammo that you might have a chance in an Orlando type situation. No more single stack pistols or revolvers as primary.
    How many shooters were there in Orlando?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Perhaps because I was involved in a couple of active shooter events early in my LE career, perhaps because I lived in Germany in the '70s when terrorists attacks/car bombs/hijackings/etc were common, but Orlando or any other recent event has changed little about what and how I do things.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    How about the XC1? Nice and compact but bright with good flood, and easy to conceal.
    No DG switch.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post

What are your thoughts?
    Good thread. I'm still post processing.

Two things occurred to me: one, I'm thinking I need to figure out a holster to ccw my VP9, instead of my PPS. Second, I need to carry a TQ and a Celox bandage either on me or nearby.

Coincidentally, Saturday morning, I had decided to put my GSW kit with me in my truck on a routine basis.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-12-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I'm curious what your TOE is for travelling with a long gun. Example: for an AR do you just break it down in a backpack with a few mags and take it to the hotel room?
    I don't know of a good solution for an AR, but tennis racket bags and LMG barrel bags are great for rifles with folding stocks. If you have a Mossberg pump shotgun you can buy a 590/835 mag end cap, unscrew the mag tube and use the spare cap to retain the follower and spring inside the tube. With the barrel and mag tube off and action open it can easily be hidden in a bag of some kind. Not as convenient as a true take-down shotgun but you can grab one at the LGS right now for not a lot of dough. It isn't good for rapid response but if you're traveling you could stick it in your luggage and carry it up to your hotel room and assemble it there to have just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    How many shooters were there in Orlando?
    One. And he had already been engaged by two cops who were pulling security at the door.

As for what I do, this has just been a slap in the face to remind what I already know and to stop being a lazy piece of shit. Train more, exercise more, lose weight, stop being a liability and start being an asset. I also went gun shopping because, yeah. I'm worried about the legislative fallout, or at least another 2013 panic buying spree. Didn't find anything so I'll do what I should do anyway and invest in support gear for the stuff I have.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 06-12-2016 at 11:37 PM.

I would like to point out that a guitar or bass guitar gig bag makes a pretty good, unobtrusive carrying case.

It's an interesting question. I tend to be driven by data, and analysis of each situation or incident individually and relative to my own lifestyle and behavior. In short, I don't find myself to be in any danger, greater or lesser. However, I think there are two ways that people's thoughts and perceptions are affected by these types of incidents:
    1) a feeling that they were un-prepared in one particular aspect of their plan. This leads to small adjustments like adding medical gear, adding a light to their gun or pocket, etc.
    2) a feeling that the tide is turning locally, globally, or whatever and that it's time to ramp up. This leads to major adjustments like adding a rifle, plate carrier, etc. to their trunk for their day to day.

In my case, it's neither. I already carry most of the medical gear listed by others above in one capacity or another, as well as the other minor items that some are posting about. And I don't see the need to prepare for war in my suburb, so I don't need to add a rifle or military gear to my daily preparations.

I saw a couple of comments in the thread above that sparked additional thoughts.

For you trainers out there... Have you thought about changing your course work? Do you have course work for such event? Topics that would be interesting to me as a civilian:
    - Threat identification in a chaotic environment
    - Communication with authorities and loved ones during an active shooter situation
    - Triage and stabilization of multiple casualties until first response
    - Multiple active shooter environments - how to barricade, hide, defend or contain
    - Use of force in a crowded environment
    I'm sure there are plenty. The thing is, how does one vet any of this? I can think of at least one local trainer that I'm quite certain is probably writing up his course outline now. And he's a choad that I woulnd't go to for training in how to be a choad, let alone anything that matters.

I think the most important thing is for people to understand that these types of events might happen, and learn to think for themselves relative to how to avoid them, survive them, and escape from them.

In a situation like Orlando (soft target, gun free zone) the problem is all the hardware (specifically weapons) wouldn't have done jack squat for us. No one is armed in there, club Pulse is a gun and weapon free zone. Most of the big clubs in Orlando always pat down or wand.) The reality is, these assholes are not going to fight fair. They are going to continue to hit soft targets where they know people are unarmed, and densely congregated. So unless one decides to say screw it and carry illegally what does that leave us? Mindet, tactics, and the WILL TO FIGHT. Imagine if 30 of those hostages trapped in there decided to say...F this I'm not going out without a fight and attacked him with whatever they could.....
    My first thought whenever there is a thread like this is "what do these people think they would have done differently?"

it's also interesting to note that there are people talking about buying more hardware and then those talking about buying more software, but in either case it's often just an excuse to go spend more money on more fun shit.

4.) Physical Fitness. If you're not physically fit and can't carry a person or loved one on your back, carry lttters for x amount of distance or move quickly you're going to hinder those around you. Just check out some of the clips from last night of people carrying wounded to vehicles. Imagine doing that about 20 times. It's more than just physically being able to carry people, move things or cover distance though. If your body is starved of oxygen and you have a low VO2 max you're critical decision making and ability to process information is going to degrade significantly and you're likely to become a casualty yourself because you're body is going to go into self preservation mode.
    This is something at resonates with me. I've long beaten the drum of fitness over even medical training, let alone firearms or "hand to hand" because it has the greatest, lasting effect on survivability for much greater risk factors like heart disease, etc. Like a lot of guys my age family (as kids get older they require more attention) and work (as careers advance more time is required) obligations, as well as deteriorating bodies (knee and back problems due to wear and tear make physical activity more challenging) have combined to turn a 60-minutes-per-day workout into zero minutes a day. And the (unfortunately) rarer physical activities make the lack of fitness all the more evident.

While not directly related to this incident or others, I'm aware of my own "skinny fat" failings and am interested to hear how others are dealing with similar challengenges, since I do believe that health and fitness are #1 in any "survival" plan.

I also went gun shopping because, yeah. I'm worried about the legislative fallout, or at least another 2013 panic buying spree.
    This is yet another piece of the pie after any of these events. Obama and others cause a spike in revenues in the gun industry due to panic. But here again there are two types:
    1) those who have guns already and figure they better get more
    or
    2) those who don't have guns yet that figure they need to buy their first.

I figure those in group 2 are a good thing, for the most part. yes, they will be the untrained, idiotic, ignornant, masses that so many love to hate on, but they've also now taken the first step towards being more politically in-line with my beliefs so I welcome them. Certainly, a Hilary voter that goes out and buys a gun this weekend is more like me today than he was on Friday.

User Tag List