Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Changing Makeup of Our Day to Day Lives and Your Training

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post

The down side is that this is not something that I can or would carry around on my person all the time. When I'm at work and circumstances dictate I have a Patrol Rifle in hand, then I have a blowout kit on a sub load on my leg. (That one is NOT in a Zip Lok bag by the way...) But for going about my everyday life outside of work, I don't carry medical supplies on my person.
    You might consider this all inclusive packaged unit for personal carry. I put one in my back pocket opposite my wallet: http://darkangelmedical.com/pocket-d...jr-trauma-kit/

The clear plastic packaging is vacuum sealed around the contents and can be ripped/used as entry/exit chest seal against pneumothorax.

In my truck, I have this: http://darkangelmedical.com/d-a-r-k-...-3-trauma-kit/
    Last edited by StrikerFire; 06-12-2016 at 02:17 PM.

OP, there are too many trainers to count now who are offering active shooter response courses, casualty care, and everything in between.

IMO, the fighting/survivor mindset is the most important thing. Like you said in your post you actually think those situations through and take steps to prepare yourself. That in itself is head and shoulders above what the average joe in America is doing to be "prepared".

In a situation like Orlando (soft target, gun free zone) the problem is all the hardware (specifically weapons) wouldn't have done jack squat for us. No one is armed in there, club Pulse is a gun and weapon free zone. Most of the big clubs in Orlando always pat down or wand.) The reality is, these assholes are not going to fight fair. They are going to continue to hit soft targets where they know people are unarmed, and densely congregated. So unless one decides to say screw it and carry illegally what does that leave us? Mindet, tactics, and the WILL TO FIGHT. Imagine if 30 of those hostages trapped in there decided to say...F this I'm not going out without a fight and attacked him with whatever they could.....
    Last edited by BES; 06-12-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    OP, there are too many trainers to count now who are offering active shooter response courses, casualty care, and everything in between.

IMO, the fighting/survivor mindset is the most important thing. Like you said in your post you actually think those situations through and take steps to prepare yourself. That in itself is head and shoulders above what the average joe in America is doing to be "prepared".

In a situation like Orlando (soft target, gun free zone) the problem is all the hardware (specifically weapons) wouldn't have done jack squat for us. No one is armed in there, club Pulse is a gun and weapon free zone. Most of the big clubs in Orlando always pat down or wand.) The reality is, these assholes are not going to fight fair. They are going to continue to hit soft targets where they know people are unarmed, and densely congregated. So unless one decides to say screw it and carry illegally what does that leave us? Mindet, tactics, and the WILL TO FIGHT. Imagine if 30 of those hostages trapped in there decided to say...F this I'm not going out without a fight and I'm taking this MF with me and attacked him with whatever they could.
    Agreed 100% on the hardware not being much of a factor. I know there are plenty of active shooter courses out there. However most of these are designed around what we think of when we think of active shooter... one person, unorganized, crazy, seeking attention.

This one appears to be many of those, however I think what happened at the mall in Africa, and more recently Paris presents a different set of variables, and I believe we will see more. This is more of the subject matter I am speaking of.

I really think that when I think of training, I am not thinking of defense. Priority 1. Survive. Priority 2. Aftermath response.

I believe all of us here will fight for ours if all that was available was a ham sandwich for defense, but honestly I think this is such a "new norm" I would be surprised if there is a consensus on good practice. I think even agencies are just reacting and learning something new each time. A high cost it is to society.

Sort of late to the thread, but: I've pretty much arrived at the same laundry list as JFK in the OP. I *always* have a NATO TQ on my person (pocket), and my P-F sourced group buy TQ's/kit are in my EDC bag and car, respectively. Everything else per the OP, as well. Well, no long gun. If Gxx won't do it, I'm out of luck; I'm no hunter.

I was just at the quarterly fun show yesterday and, aside from another endangered Sig P232 mag, all I picked up was medical supplies and an emergency dental handbook (Sherm!). I'm definitely going for "stop the bleed" over stuffing another CCW piece into the safe these days. I've taken some rudimentary urban escape and med stuff of late, and plan to add a real TCCC course ASAP.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 06-12-2016 at 05:16 PM.

I have also been spending more on medical stuff. Mostly TQs and Israeli bandages.
    My agency does ALERRT training every year at in-service. This year was the ERASE part (all outdoor stuff) and a big part of this was TQ drills. Either applying one to yourself or to another person. It was very eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For me, carrying a handgun and ammo that you might have a chance in an Orlando type situation. No more single stack pistols or revolvers as primary.
    I don't have a problem carrying my P239 and 2 mags. It's what I've had on all day and I shoot it measurably better than my 228. And in some dress, I can't always pull off the 226. Being able to deliver accurate hate is the number 1 priority. Not saying more bullets aren't nice, but it's just not my number 1 consideration.

I will agree about no longer sticking a 642 in a pocket and calling it good.
    Last edited by LSP552; 06-12-2016 at 06:35 PM.

I've never experienced it and I pray my soldiers or ANYONE for that matter never has to. From what I've been told though the aftermath response to a MASCAL is one of the most challenging and stressful situations a human can possibly endure. If you're someone with even a hint of knowledge or in some type of leadership position it instantly becomes the ultimate test of leadership, decision making, and critical thinking under pressure. Who lives, who dies, what to do, How to do it.... All on your shoulders

I'm honored to have a soldier right now who happened to be part of the Ranger MASCAL in AFG 2013. Absolutely horrendous event, he has given me some great insight on this and honestly hearing him talking about it and the pain in his voice because of the ones they couldn't save gives me chills.

In order to prepare ourselves to respond efficiently and efficectively in that situation I think one can do a few things. (Actually it's not me who thinks but just what I've been taught and gathered from those who have been through such an experience)

1.) TAC medicine knowledge, understanding basic concepts of trauma medicine and stabilization. Even the most basic of things like controlling massive hemorrhage can buy minutes and precious time. Also knowing how to make make shift litters for casually evacuation and make shift TQs.

2.) Knowing how to triage and treat people and what order. You've got to be able to identify who is worth saving and who is not with a brief assessment and limited supplies. Tough decisions but that is the reality. If your daughter is or loved one is clearly fatally wounded are you going to dick around trying to revive/treat them or save the stranger to your right who could possible survive.

3.) Crticial decision making/ Leadership under pressure, do you have what it takes to direct people what to do and make life or death decisions all while handling and processing the sensory and emotional overload of what's going on around you ?

4.) Physical Fitness. If you're not physically fit and can't carry a person or loved one on your back, carry lttters for x amount of distance or move quickly you're going to hinder those around you. Just check out some of the clips from last night of people carrying wounded to vehicles. Imagine doing that about 20 times. It's more than just physically being able to carry people, move things or cover distance though. If your body is starved of oxygen and you have a low VO2 max you're critical decision making and ability to process information is going to degrade significantly and you're likely to become a casualty yourself because you're body is going to go into self preservation mode.
    Last edited by BES; 06-12-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Beat Trash, that "Dummy Kit" sounds great. Our cruiser blow-out bags contain almost that exact load out with the addition of some SWAT-Ts and they are a very versatile item. It can be a TQ, wrap or pressure dressing. It's difficult to apply one handed but it's a lot of usefulness in a small package.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I'm curious what your TOE is for travelling with a long gun. Example: for an AR do you just break it down in a backpack with a few mags and take it to the hotel room?
    I have a lot of different bags and containers, all of which strive for discretion. Backpacks, daypacks, musical instrument cases, volleyball net carriers, folding lawn chair stuff bags, sling bag, diaper case, guitar cases, laptop bags, fabric drink coolers.....

I even have a few gun cases.

All of them have containers for additional rounds or magazines, blow-out kit, flashlight w/spare batteries, Sabre pepper spray, doorstop, multitool, compass and 550 cord. All of them have a Safariland J-frame speedloader, since I'm always carrying at least that and a Joe Watson knife.

The most frequently carried tends to be either the AR pistol inside Texas in a Camelbak, or the Winchester Model 12 shotgun broken down in a sling bag outside the state. I have taken that shotgun a lot of places without a second look, and can assemble and fire it as fast as 7 seconds, and as slow as 10 seconds.

It's not much good having such things, if you do not practice with them.

My fave is one of the old original Noveske discreet bags with no logos.

I'm working on some new ideas for the Marlin 336Y. A sling and HPG butt cuff should be here Friday, and I'm still pondering the cases to use.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    I would love to hear from trainer, especially civilian trainers. Is there a market for this type of training, or is it a small market?

What about LEO? What has your agency adapted, or added?
    We partnered with our local trauma center. The trauma center funded purchasing of trauma kits for each deputy as wells 25 kits for each school and day care center in the county. Fire Rescue will be helping us with training on the proper use of the kits, and once all of the deputies and school personnel are trained, we will be rolling out training to the general public and selling kits to them at a very small profit in order to purchase more kits.

A local shipping company volunteered to receive and store the shipment and the labor to put all of the packs together.

One of our private schools funded the purchase or 12 complete sets of sims gear, including Glock sim pistols, for training on active shooter scenarios. We will also be using this gear for use of force training.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List