Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exposed hammer J frames

I feel like most shooters these days don't know or bother how to learn to pull a DA trigger properly. In all honesty... I feel a decent DA revolver pull is more of an asset than a detriment on tight shots.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 06-13-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I feel like most shooters these days don't know or bother how to learn to pull a DA trigger properly. In all honesty... I feel a decent DA revolver pull is more of an asset than a detriment on tight shots.
    That's certainly true of some expert wheelgunners. Then there are definitions. I'm thinking a tight shot is the headbox at 25 yards or half of it at 15. 4" Model 15 is one thing, a 2" J frame something else.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I bought a 638 ("bodyguard" with the shrouded hammer) because I really liked the idea of having a hammer spur to put my thumb on when putting the gun back into a pocket or AIWB holster. I also had thoughts that the SA capability would be nice in a very narrow range of circumstances.

It's funny you should mention this, because the other day I was thinking "Hey I should ask the old school revolver guys on p-f what they think of thumb cocking the revolver for defensive shooting."

One thing that I would note is this: if you do cock a 638, and then decide not to shoot, decocking one safely has very little margin for error.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's certainly true of some expert wheelgunners. Then there are definitions. I'm thinking a tight shot is the headbox at 25 yards or half of it at 15. 4" Model 15 is one thing, a 2" J frame something else.
    How much time is one given to make this 25 yard shot?
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 06-13-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    How much time is one given to make this 25 yard shot?
    The rest of our lives!!!! kidding! This weekend I have to run the 25 yard stage of DoW 168 both DA and SA with the 2" M36. It went passably well DA with a 3" Model 10 so now I'm curious.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The DA trigger is a strange beast... I've had some super inexperienced people be freaky accurate with a DA trigger on a snub. They aligned the sights and just applied pressure until the bang.

On average, I agree that people do poorly with a 2 inch DA gun... I was just feeling feisty.

I was just looking through my snub targets and found a 3 3/4 inch 5 shot 25 yard group and a 2.1 inch 5 shot 15 yard group. That said... at that time I was putting a lot of time and ammo into snub shooting.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 06-13-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Leaving the expert wheelgunners out of the equation, how successful would you predict most shooters would be making a 25 yard head shot, single action with a snub, or a micro semi auto with a similar sight radius for that matter?
    Last edited by Wheeler; 06-13-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Leaving the expert wheelgunners out of the equation, how successful would you predict most shooters would be making a 25 yard head shot with a snub, or a micro semi auto with a similar sight radius for that matter?
    I can safely say I would make a head shot at 25 yds 1/12 shots using the "broken clock is right twice a day" logic.

Site Supporter
    Don't over think it. It is just sight alinement and trigger control. Sure it is harder (or maybe I should say takes more concentration) with a small light gun but the concept is the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Leaving the expert wheelgunners out of the equation, how successful would you predict most shooters would be making a 25 yard head shot, single action with a snub, or a micro semi auto with a similar sight radius for that matter?
    My guess/experience is that less than 5% of handgun owners (not necessarily "shooters") could make a "cold" 25 yard head shot with basically any handgun.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 06-13-2016 at 07:31 PM.

User Tag List