Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone reload heavy-for-caliber 9mm?

Site Supporter
    Edwin, were you using CFE for the heavier stuff too? I'm skirting right around 125 PF with 2.8 grs of TG, but my research says I'm in +P territory at that loading and primers are showing it. I need to find a slower powder for this heavy stuff, and not sure which one to go with.

I did but I can't find my chrono data on those. I'll have to buy some more and make new ones to chrono.

Site Supporter
    I used to shoot 160 LRN and 150SWC in 38 Super for USPSA to make "major". I later loaded them I'm 9mm in "minor". I really like the 150SWC in 9mm. I typically just load 124 Bayous now.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the additional replies. I put this question on the Brian Enos forum today, and if I get some helpful info there I'll post it here also.

Site Supporter
    An update on this:

The Enos forum was a bust - got a safety nazi in one of the first replies who kind of shut the answers down before they really got started. So I bought the Quickload software (had been wanting it for awhile anyway - getting some pressure results for this particular combo is what pushed me over the edge and got me to spend the $$$) which arrived this afternoon. I posted the following as a summary to the Enos thread so at least it might help somebody else in the future:

After doing some studying in the Quickload software, I went to town with a list of suitable powders going by the pressure numbers in the software. The only powder I was able to find locally was Hodgdon Longshot, and a load of 3.8 grs has given me an average of 823 fps in the full-size Beretta (SD 15), and 798 fps in the PX4 Compact. There was no keyholing on the targets and the primers looked normal. There was a storm coming so no time for in-depth testing, but for now it looks like I have a powder that solves the previous problems I was having.
    FYI, AA#5 was another powder that looked promising in Quickload, which is a really cool piece of software. Not only does it estimate pressure, it estimates % powder burn and % fill in the case, so you can narrow down your choices by avoiding loads that might be compressed, etc (if that matters for your application).

Some data here.

http://ww w.shootingtimes.com/reloading/reloading-heavy-bullets-in-9mm-luger/

not sure if it helps but maybe worth a look.

Site Supporter
    A little more data on the Xtreme 165's with Longshot powder. My comp gun is already packed up for tomorrow's club match, but did some last minute off-the-porch shooting in the rain with the chrono resting on the far porch rail with a stock (read: oversized bore, 4.9" barrel) 92G pistol. Wanted to drop the PF to something more sissyImeanreasonable. Since the whole point was to compare with 147's. Started at 3.4 grs Longshot and hit an avg of 727 fps. Brass was just dribbling out of the gun, but it was functioning. Went up to 3.6 grs and avg was 771 with SD of 11. At around 127 PF that's all I need - it will be slightly faster in the Bar-Sto barrel (read: proper .355 bore) in my comp gun.

Going back up to load 100 of these; for better or worse we'll see how they shoot tomorrow. This'll be the first match I'll be using them in.

User Tag List