Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are Glocks so popular? Make a non US citizen understand.

Why are Glocks so popular? Make a non US citizen understand.

Shooting a few rentals yesterday got me thinking. With all the options available, why are glocks so popular. Given the issues gen 4s had, and the availability of HK's, SIGs and S&W, why do people and even trainers like Frank Proctor, Larry VIckers, Dave Spaulding, Ken Hackathorn still seem to speak highly of Glocks? This is not some attempt to get fanboys to endorse glock, I'm trying to understand it from a different perspective as I am not in the states. Here I went glock simply due to support and availability. I mean, why would a guy there buy a G19 if he can get a P30?? What am I not understanding?

A. They're reliable
    B. They're cheap
    C. They're durable
    D. Insanely easy to maintain
    C. Aftermarket support is virtually limitless

There's a few reasons:
    -Price: a Glock is about as cheap as you can go and still have acceptable reliability, performance, and accuracy
    -Reliability: Glocks are still pretty much the gold standards for semi-auto reliability
    -Service time: Glocks have been around since the late 80's. It took a while for most other makers to offer a similar striker-fired, polymer framed option
    -Widespread adoption: a lot of professionals use them
    -Ease of maintenance: Glocks are really simple, and really easy to work on
    -Lots of aftermarket support: There's a lot of parts and accessories readily available in even the average gunshop

I blame rap music.

They land in the sweet spot of being good enough, cheap enough, accurate enough, etc. Plus there's a ton of aftermarket support.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    A. They're reliable
    B. They're cheap
    C. They're durable
    D. Insanely easy to maintain
    C. Aftermarket support is virtually limitless
    I've never owned a Glock, but this is my understanding as well.

flux wrote,
    I mean, why would a guy there buy a G19 if he can get a P30?? What am I not understanding?
    In this instance, here in the USA, one reason could be the G19 costs around $500 and the P30 costs around $1,000.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    All of the above plus aggressive marketing.

The #1 reason is because most people can shoot better with a Glock than a P30. All the other benefits are just icing on the cake.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I have a Glock 19 because they don't actually sell such a thing as a generic "pistol, 9mm, 1 ea.".
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    They work and I don't have the money to experiment with 5 other brands for minimal gains. Have they been trouble free, no. But my SW 1911 has failed as has a 442. Don't ask about the Taurus horrors of the 90's and early 2000's.

Gen4 17 fine. G42, - had to go back to them for a fix up. G26 no problems.

User Tag List