Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. SOCCOM looks to U.S. companies for homemade AK-47s

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Some of our guys have been using AKs for a very, very long time. An SF friend was issued an AK as one of his primary long guns way back in the '80s
    Yup. We bought captured AK's from the Israeli's in the 1970's and we bought PRC AK's in the 80's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I'll take a Valmet please.
    Good gun. While a better fit than a Galil, it still does not really suit the purpose.

The Galil was actually derived from the 5.56 version of the Valmet.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Did he cover U.S. built guns or the prior Russian built guns imported by Kalashnikov USA ?
    Just rewatched the video... No reference to country of origin. Sorry [emoji53]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Just rewatched the video... No reference to country of origin. Sorry [emoji53]

What was the date of the video? are you talking about the SHOT Show 2016 video or an actual shooting review?

They were importing Saiga hunting rifles and converting them to AK-103 configuration but that came to a screeching halt due to the Russian arms embargo resulting from the invasions of Crimea and Ukraine.

I do not believe any of their their U.S. made guns have been released yet. The Shot 2016 video said projected release in fall 2016.

What was the date of the video? are you talking about the SHOT Show 2016 video or an actual shooting review?

They were importing Saiga hunting rifles and converting them to AK-103 configuration but that came to a screeching halt due to the Russian arms embargo resulting from the invasions of Crimea and Ukraine.

I do not believe any of their their U.S. made guns have been released yet. The Shot 2016 video said projected release in fall 2016.
    The video I rewatched was the shot show one... It was really quick. It mentioned the 2016 release time frames. I know there was one or two more but I didn't watch them again. As I think about it, I honestly can't remember any reference to USA made or not. It could very well be imported. I just assumed USA made because of the name of the company and the "modernizing" of the weapon which I think is awesome if the damn thing actually works reliably (and actually becomes a reality).

Good gun. While a better fit than a Galil, it still does not really suit the purpose.

The Galil was actually derived from the 5.56 version of the Valmet.
    At various points they made Valmets in 7.62x39, 5.56 nato and 7.62x51 so unless they need 5.45x39 it should be ok?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It hurts.

Other than the AK/AR any leaning towards the 7.62x39 over the 5.56 or 5.45x39?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Some of our guys have been using AKs for a very, very long time. An SF friend was issued an AK as one of his primary long guns way back in the '80s
    Yep. And longer than that too.

User Tag List