Thread: Remington AccuTip 55gr. 223 for Duty?

Remington AccuTip 55gr. 223 for Duty?

I have been given new duty ammunition for my issued rifle and was wondering if anyone has any experience or can offer pros/cons in this load. I have tried to search out information on it and have come up pretty dry.

The load is Remington Premier AccuTip .223 55 grain PRA223RC.

I am assuming this is a varmint hunting round due to the ACCUTIP-V designation on the box.

Any insight is appreciated especially penetration issues, shooting through vehicle glass/bodies, barriers, etc. I'm sure there are better loads/more popular loads out there but I am mandated to carry this ammunition.

Regards.

Shallow penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, does not meet minimum FBI requirements.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Someone did a great job with that purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Someone did a great job with that purchase!
    It's highly political in nature.

Can anyone point me towards some facts with the shallow penetration and the intermediate barrier stuff? I need to do quite a bit of research before sending something up the chain of command.

Ballistic testing? FBI testing?

Anything at all will be greatly appreciated.

DocGKR is hooking me up via PM. Many thanks out to him.

We issued a similar round the 55gr Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip and it had an abysmal track record in shootings, luck was on our side so problems got swept under the rug. We recently had a divorce with Winchester over QC problems and switched to the Hornady GMX round. I don't think the GMX is magical but it should be much better than the Win BST round.

There were patrol officers at the Dallas Police HQ shooting that put a lot of Win BST into the glass of James Boulware's armored van and were unable to reduce the armored glass. Wesley Lynn Ruiz, who murdered officer Mark Nix, was hit with bullet fragments in the head and face after the Win BST round broke apart on Ruiz's car windshield. In Bouleware's case we got lucky that despite his determination and planning, he just couldn't overcome being a fuck up in life. In Ruiz's case, Nix had already been shot.

That GMX is a rather capable round, and FAR better than any of the varmint bullets for police work.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Yes indeed.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

The 55 gr GMX shoots within 1/4" poa/poi of my Independence 55 gr XM193I. It's nice to have the same zero for both.

User Tag List