Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: "You might be a rural Texas Peace Officer if..."

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    First...Prison leather can run from good to exquisite. Depends on the contracted inmate. Much of the leather above is not prison leather. I have two buckle sets waiting for rigs from one of the guys work in the picture....the revolver one.

Second...when I moved to Texas, nobody I talked too knew WTF a BBQ rig was, and until we did the Revolver Round Up...never heard of a BBQ with a bunch of fancy armed folks. A bunch of cops, deputies and other lawman eating at a BBQ place with open carried rigs...been to lots of those. Now, Court rigs is a long standing tradition. I wore court rigs in California. It is to impress judges, juries, and other attendees in Court. I was often doing expert court testimony on gun stuff, or gun related crimes. The Combat Commnader I wore in a Yaqui slide was flat stunning. Texas has a much longer tradition and the Southwest in general. Pat Rogers, in NY, thought this was the dumbest thing ever and was obviously not a tradition there. Much of this comes from style of rig worn, that is very different than other parts of the country.
    Like you said, it all depends on your locale. In Louisiana, we cannot have guns in the courtroom.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    Like you said, it all depends on your locale. In Louisiana, we cannot have guns in the courtroom.

JR1572
    Not even the bailiff?

Everything I know about BBQ guns, I learned from Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Not even the bailiff?
    The bailiff and court security can be armed. If you're there to testify or get a warrant signed, off with your pistol...

JR1572

As a Fed, I can carry in State and Local courts, but no one carried in Fed court except the USMS...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    The bailiff and court security can be armed. If you're there to testify or get a warrant signed, off with your pistol...

JR1572
    Huh... here in NC if you're sworn you're good everywhere minus inside a jail and federal stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    This threat got me all worked up for a BBQ rig...

I can tell you what happened to court guns in my part of Texas. Most departments went to issued guns. You can't customize, Polish, engrave, or decorate dept property. And most agencies only allow you to carry the issued gun, period.

The BBQ gun was still around somewhat since that was an off duty event. In 98, about half our guys had floral engraved leather rigs made by inmates of the TX Dept of Justice. It was good stuff, and reasonable. Think $100 for matching belt holster mag pouch and cuff case. They would even make a small metal badge of your agency and solder it into the buckle. They just lost popularity.

WOW! Thanks for the pictures - just classic gear.

Site Supporter
    FYI for those interested in Texas "prison leather". They still make it.

The gift shop for the Texas Ranger Museum ( a non profit) in Waco sells floral carved note book covers, pistol rugs, etc made by inmates.

No holsters of belts but the pistols rugs etc are very well done.

BTW anyone interested enough in guns to be reading this thread owes it to themselves to visit the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco. A simply Amazing collection of historical firearms many of which are literally works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    FYI for those interested in Texas "prison leather". They still make it.

The gift shop for the Texas Ranger Museum ( a non profit) in Waco sells floral carved note book covers, pistol rugs, etc made by inmates.

No holsters of belts but the pistols rugs etc are very well done.

BTW anyone interested enough in guns to be reading this thread owes it to themselves to visit the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco. A simply Amazing collection of historical firearms many of which are literally works of art.

Is there a way to get a TDC belt and holster, possibly with a mag/cuff combo pouch? I would love a rig for either a P229 or P226R, but I am about as far from Texas as can be in the lower 48.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Sometimes you wind up in interesting places. This was a theft follow up the last time the Sabine River flooded.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 470
Size:  25.2 KB

User Tag List