Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Offhand Rifle Shooting Info.

Help Offhand Rifle Shooting Info.

In response to several requests.

Great tip, Pat! I've noticed my rifle shooting has gotten a lot better since I started playing with approach shooting versus the wobble zone I grew up with.
    TY83544

Seems to be a different take on a similar idea in this Bennie Cooley video

Curious to hear your impressions on this method.

Edit:
    For approach shooting, why approach from 7 o'clock as opposed to another direction? Does a lefty approach from the 5 o'clock position?
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 06-10-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Same thing in my mind (Bennie and I are friends) just he comes from the top. I did not explain my method to add
    muscle energy to move the gun. I am more comfortable (coming from an Iron sight perspective) entering the target from the bottom.

With Iron's you would not be able to see the target dropping onto it. One method all sight systems.
    Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 06-10-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Fantastic vid in content and production values. Totally new concept to me and most of my buds, except one that has seen it from an AMU clinic he attended.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    This is the first time I have seen this approach, and it seems to make sense: rather than try to minimize the movement, control the movement in a way that helps you.

The video is excellently done, particularly the views through the scope. Those views really clarified the technique as well as its advantages.

Thank you...I can be rather verbose and no matter how long I talk I may not offer an answer to every unasked question (such is video).
    I am working on creating visuals that illustrate the points I want the viewer to learn, sounds like this one worked!
    Your feedback ( positive no less ) is most welcomed.

Great video, especially being able to see through the scope, which I don't know how to do that with video. This is a bit similar in concept in how I also use muscular assist on how I might track a moving target where I track and pull through a target from the rear to the front and then I get the lead that I need for the shot. Like your video the muscular tension here makes for a smooth and more predictable path intersecting the target. Nice job!

When I was in my early teens and new to big game hunting I was plagued with "buck fever"- even on whitetail does. Uncontrollable heavy breathing and absolutely impossible to settle the crosshairs behind the front shoulder. My hunting mentor introduced me to a technique loosely resembling what Mr Cooley describes in his video above: I'd find the animal in the lower portion of my scope, put the vertical crosshair in line with my target, and begin dropping the crosshair until it was time to break the shot. It was the only thing I ever tried that could tame my buck fever and it was extremely effective. Eventually my illness subsided and the technique was replaced with more traditional means. Great videos.

Bumping an amazing thread for newer members.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List