Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 168: Favorite Weapons

Other results today:

Gun used: Glock 43
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 1: 2.30 + .5 = 2.80
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 2: 9.70 + .5 = 10.2
    Total score (String 1 + String 2): 13.00
    Anything you noticed: New CAP sights are good. Very good. I like this little stinker. Shot a 90 on it for ten on a B8 at 25 yards. It has great potential.

Beretta 92
    string 1: 2.07 clean
    string 2: 4.31 + 1.0 = 5.31
    Total: 7.38

RIA GI model .45
    String 1: 2.76 clean
    String 2: 9.18 + 2.5 = 11.68
    Total: 14.44
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Gun used: RTF2 G19 with KKM compensator
    I think it's my "favorite" now.
    Did POA/POI change with the comp? A few years ago I put a comp on a .45 1911 and had to change the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Target used: USPSA Metric

Gun used: G43
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 1: 1.56 + 0 = 1.56
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 2: 3.66 + 1.00 (2C) = 4.66
    Total score (String 1 + String 2): 6.22
    Anything you noticed: Great gun for its size. Sure takes work to run it well though.

Gun used: Gen3 G21
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 1: 1.52 + 0 = 1.52
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 2: 2.74 + 1.00 (2C)= 3.74
    Total score (String 1 + String 2): 5.26
    Anything you noticed: G21 shoots really nice. I definitely prefer 9mm, but it's easy to forget how nice the G21 shoots.

Gun used: Gen3 G26
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 1: 1.31 + 0 = 1.31
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 2: 2.99 + 0.50 (1C) = 3.49
    Total score (String 1 + String 2): 4.80
    Anything you noticed: G26 is a great gun. But I definitely don't shoot it as well as the 17 or 34. Hell of a lot better than the 43 though.

Gun used: Gen3 G17
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 1: 1.28 + 0 = 1.28
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 2: 2.36 + 0.50 (1C) = 2.86
    Total score (String 1 + String 2): 4.14
    Anything you noticed: Full frame, full grip, now we're talking. The G17 is the true Glock. Snappier than the 34 though. What a great gun.

Gun used: Gen3 G34
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 1: 1.24 + 0 = 1.24
    Score (time plus penalties) for String 2: 2.23 + 0 = 2.23
    Total score (String 1 + String 2): 3.47
    Anything you noticed: I love this gun, duh! Certainly I am more attuned to it than the others. It just runs so nicely - nice trigger, movement in recoil, soft. Favorite weapons? Yes for me.
    Good illustration for gun purchasers as to the performance comparison between frame sizes.

I'd be interested to know the results of an intermediate range (10-15 yard) 3 x body 2 x head drill with the same firearms.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 06-22-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Did POA/POI change with the comp? A few years ago I put a comp on a .45 1911 and had to change the sights.
    It did but the comp change included a KKM barrel so from OEM it impacts a bit higher at 25 yards. I just discovered it passionately prefers the Lawman 124 to the Lawwman 115 in terms of group sizes, but the 124s impacts a bit higher than the 115s. Total for the 124s I'd say about 5" above POA. These barrels sort of cry out for adjustable sights or a RDS. Okie John made that point about his match barrel experiments too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I just finished 24 runs through this with 13 different guns. I shot horribly today, but I shot equally horribly with all guns, so it's still a valid test. LOL I used IDPA targets.

To save space and my typing fingers, I'm only going to list totals after penalties for each gun. And there were lots of penalties. Lots of points down.

Gen 4 G-17: 9.48, 9.35, 9.18, 8.37
    Gen 3 G-19: 7.94, 7.14 which was the best score of the day.
    Gen 4 G-26: 10.65, 8.78
    G-43: 14.13, 13.37 I dropped a bunch of points at 25.
    S&W 442: 16.71 Nasty little thumb biter. I only shot this once.
    HiPower: 8.24, 9.77 This has Novak night sights that are hard for me to see.
    1911 9mm Commander: 7.94, 11.1
    1911 9mm 5 inch: 10.91, 9.73
    CZ75 DA/SA: 12.6, 9.00
    CZ P01: 8.42, 9.10
    Savage Mod 1915 32 ACP: 19.72, 18.52 non-existent sights on this pistol.
    Walther PPK 32 ACP: 12.42, 15.22
    Beretta Mod 20 25ACP: 17.52

Things I noticed: Good visible sights are very important to me. It seems the bigger the better. Also a smooth trigger pull is needed for me to get good hits. James Bond was a fictional character. I know because he could have never made those shots with the double action trigger on the Walther.

It looks like I should stick with my Glocks. Although both 9mm 1911's, the HiPower and both CZ's have promise with practice. The feel of all the guns in recoil is different. I think with some dedicated practice with each pistol, I could give better results.

I had lots of points down that were just out low. I seemed to be doing a lot of trigger snatching today.

I have a problem locking in when I shoot from a ready. Some of these runs might have been better if I had drawn from a holster.

I enjoyed shooting this DotW.

I have a problem locking in when I shoot from a ready. Some of these runs might have been better if I had drawn from a holster.
    That's pretty interesting. Usually I think ready has a huge advantage by starting with your best grip, unlike from the holster where you have to get that same grip at speed.

I enjoyed shooting this DotW.
    Glad to hear that Bill!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    That's pretty interesting. Usually I think ready has a huge advantage by starting with your best grip, unlike from the holster where you have to get that same grip at speed.
    I guess I was just lazy. The gun was just sort of hanging out there with little attempt to control it.

I worried about this when I was shooting GSSF. Should I do a compressed ready with a press out or a low ready and just raise the pistol. When I timed it, I was faster to the first shot with a low ready. I might do some more runs of this DotW using a compressed ready. What do you use?

I guess I was just lazy. The gun was just sort of hanging out there with little attempt to control it.

I worried about this when I was shooting GSSF. Should I do a compressed ready with a press out or a low ready and just raise the pistol. When I timed it, I was faster to the first shot with a low ready. I might do some more runs of this DotW using a compressed ready. What do you use?
    For GSSF I do the compressed ready. I think it is more game-able under GSSF rules than the low ready they specify. Their low ready is 45 degrees down at the ground/six feet away from the shooter, which is pretty far down with the distance the targets are at. I'd use it if they let me align the muzzle with the base of the target. As it is, they require compressed ready to have the muzzle level and arms touching the torso. I can assume that position with the gun at about a 3.5 (in drawstroke language), so most of the way out there. I suppose it might be worth trying the extended low/threat ready that I'd rather use, aimed at the base of the target and see if they make me adjust it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Riposte target.
    Wilson CQB commander .45: 8.60 (2.55 -0, 4.55 -1.5)
    Dan Wesson CCO .45: 8.89 (2.85 -0, 5.04 -1)
    S&W model 15: 10.31 (3.76 -0, 5.06 -1.5)

Observations: I could have shot the 7 yard stuff a LOT quicker -- I have some level finding stuff to do. The M15 has a lot of potential.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    S&W model 15: 10.31 (3.76 -0, 5.06 -1.5) The M15 has a lot of potential.
    K-Frames are awesome. I'll probably try this with some when I get time.

User Tag List