Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubber LCP vs Glock 42

I don't like either option. I concur with the Ruger being suboptimal at best, due to a very difficult to work trigger. I also think the G42 is large enough that a petite person with fitted clothes might find it hard to conceal.

Having said all that, I think we should award the Internet to flux for his auto-correct on his computer/phone turning Ruger into "Rubber." Because a rubber pistol is always safest for AIWB or pocket carry...

I own a G42 and the first 50 rounds I had three stovepipes. I locked the slide back overnight and then went back to the range and shot 100 more rounds trouble free.

The firearm has very little recoil with most .380 acp ammunition. I have found that it loves the 12.95 per box of 50 Perfecta 95 grain fmj loads the best. They are a little more peppy and work very well in my copy.

For hp rounds, the Speer Gold Dot runs flawlessly in my copy. I have fired close to 700 rounds of Perfecta and 150 of Gold Dots since that first range session without any type of malfunction whatsoever.

I carry mine at work in an ankle rig and forget it's there. I'm 6'2 230 for reference and I would imagine your lady friend is quite a bit smaller. When I go walking, I usually carry it in a belly band rig and again, forget it is there. Pocket carry is also a breeze for me but again, her garb is going to be totally different than a male's.

All of my Glocks get two things: aftermarket sights and Talon grips. For my G43 and G42, I installed Ameriglo Hackathorn orange front sights and Claw plain rears. I can run tight, fast groups at 15 yards and in and still make distance shots on steel at up to 50 yards.

She needs to find a range that rents both weapons and test them out to find out which one is right for her.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I don't like either option.
    This ^^ but I understand the deal here. I've never shot a mini-G so no help there. I did carry a LCP as a BUG. The positives are that it's small, light, and concealable. I don't find recoil all that bad, but I don't think my .30-06 Encore pistol recoils too badly (possible brain damage). At BUG distances I could do the job with it, but it's not for FAST drills. The biggest downside to me is that it's .380, but the LCP is all about compromise. Even though I replaced it as a BUG, I kept it because I just might need to hide a .380 derringer someday.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The newer LCP-Custom from Ruger would be something to make sure you look at.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcpCus...eets/3740.html

It has actual sights and a different and much nicer trigger.

It will still not be the most fun to shoot for extended range sessions but it does solve some of the bigger complaints I had against the LCP.

Update, she shot both at an indoor range, she found the LCP could disappear,but had a hard time shooting it. She found the 42 easier to shoot. But, she is new to guns so is not sure if the LCP will be easier to handle with more time with it and formal training.She really likes the size of the the LCP.

The quality of manufacture & component strength of the G42 is a good magnitude superior to that of the LCP. I'm not a Ruger hater (I own bunches of them), but IMO, the LCP is a product built with a fairly low round count lifetime (by PF standards certainly). It usually works fine & won't wear out for the average buyer, but the Glock is a much more solid platform.
    The LCP won't get any easier to handle with time - but she MIGHT get better at dealing with its shortcomings with experience. A gun that size is a huge compromise weighted towards concealment. I've never heard anyone complain about the G42 & all of my customers have abandoned LCPs & BG380s for the G42 have been delighted. The whole "is the 380 enough" issue aside, the G42 is a better platform.

When I saw Rubber LCP I knew you had a crappy Apple device.....

Like this iPad I'm using

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When I saw Rubber LCP I knew you had a crappy Apple device.....

Like this iPad I'm using
    Haha yes ipad as well.
    Any one has the actual weight of the G42 Loaded?

For people that have tried the LCP early on, and haven't tried them since then, the sights are a bit improved in later models, and the trigger is MUCH better, even on the stock models.

The Kel Tec/Taurus TCP/Ruger LCPs (they are all the same gun really...) conceal very well, I know several ladies that use them for when they can't hide a real gun, but they don't tolerate a lot of sweat well. I know of two cases where rust got to the mainspring and caused it to break. That spring works differently than hammer springs on most guns that have a hammer.

In the long run she may think about "both" as an option. The G42 is more shootable, more accurate, can be run like a "real" pistol, and would tolerate sweat vastly better if she is a jogger/runner, while the LCP would work better for when she has to have the gun absolutely concealed.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 06-10-2016 at 07:02 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    I pocket carried a LCP and Glock 43. Even in a holster I never felt at peace about the 43. It may just be OCD.

The LCP I had always worked, even when covered in pocket lint, and could be shot pretty decently during slow fire.

For me, the LCP can't be beat for safety/reliability/ability to conceal when you absolutely can't carry anything else.

User Tag List