Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubber LCP vs Glock 42

Ruger LCP vs Glock 42

Hi guys, a lady friend has asked me for advice on these two guns for herself, she has strict clothing requirements at work and spends a fair amount of time jogging, I have only felt them in person and cannot offer meaningful advice.
    Should read ruger not rubber, autocorrect
    Last edited by flux; 06-08-2016 at 04:26 PM.

I've shot a couple pocket Rugers. Nothing like a G42. They can deliver some performance what with the trigger and low recoil. https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I own a couple of LCPs and have shot the Glock 42 on a few occasions.

Glock 42 hands down is the better gun. Much more comfortable to shoot and I achieved much better accuracy with it. Not sure if it was just the fact that it had usable sights or not, but I shot that little gun very well (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    I own a couple of LCPs and have shot the Glock 42 on a few occasions.

Glock 42 hands down is the better gun. Much more comfortable to shoot and I achieved much better accuracy with it. Not sure if it was just the fact that it had usable sights or not, but I shot that little gun very well (for me).
    I had a G42 (Raffle Win) that had multiple issues with Failure To Feed. Glock CS Corrected it but it still took 200-300 rounds to break it in right. I have a Ruger LCP and hate to shoot it at range. I take it out every few months and shoot no more than 2 magazines (For operating Check). The G42 got sold, and the LCP still gets carried. I could not pocket carry the G42 and that was the killer. I did not trust the G42 as a primary firearm.
    Last edited by Kennydale; 06-08-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

If:

1) She would surrender it.
    2) It was on my "policy" for CC at work.

I would readily take my wife's 42 over my 43. It's a grand little piece.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Do you have access to a shooting range with rental guns that might have some that she could try? Her comfort with the gun will be critical.

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT, which is very similar to the LCP. Recoil will be a bit much for anyone who is recoil sensitive. It doesn't bother me, but I find that the gun shifts in my hand unless I am using a magazine extension. This does reduce the difference in size between the G42 and LCP to some extent.

I have seen some very nice shooting done by a female shooter with a Glock 42. She was starting to fatigue from recoil as the round count approached 50 but even those last few shots were good.

Given the extreme difficulties faced by ladies trying to hide guns while dressing like ladies, the difference in size between the G42 and LCP could potentially be the difference between the gun being carried verses left at home.

Overall, if I were helping my wife make this choice, I would lean towards a G42.

Admittedly it's been 5+ years since I shot one, but I did NOT like the LCP at all, and neither did my wife. Tiny sights, hard to control and very snappy in recoil, all the usual complaints about tiny blowback .380 guns. IIRC when she shot a G42 at a later date, it wasn't like it was love at first trigger pull, but she liked it a lot better than the Ruger, and if it had existed when she was searching for a gun, I think there might be one in our safe. (She ended up with the Walther PK380, which has its own issues/compromises, but at least is accurate and comfortable to shoot.)

I've owned a few older gen LCPs. They were great pocket guns but horrid triggers and more difficult to get good hits at speed. Slow fire .... fine.

I have a G42 and it's not quite as great in the pocket but easy to shoot and get good hits at speed. It's all around a better gun hands down. Good sights. Good trigger. Easier to reload.

Now, I did just order another LCP but got a Custom model this time for better trigger and sights. It's still a very niche gun for me. It won't replace my G42 for everything but will do in a pinch.

She will be happier carrying the LCP but happier shooting the G42.

Concealability vs shootability, IMHO. Echoing what others have said, the LCP is great for what it is: a tiny, 11-oz deep concealment piece. Not easy or fun to shoot. If I were to buy another one now, I'd also opt for the one with the upgraded trigger and sights. When the LCP came out, it basically removed most excuses for not carrying.

The 42, on the other hand, is a pussycat to shoot, and it performs well--even better with a set of the many decent aftermarket sights currently available for it installed. It's considerably bigger, but not any bigger overall than, say, a Walther PPK; a gun that was once the mutt's nuts for backup and hideout duty. It may be a porker by today's mini-me .380 standards, but it's, what, maybe 17 oz fully loaded?

I don't have an LCP or a Sig P238 anymore, but I'm about to buy another G42, now that my wife has (finally!) taken her own interest in such things and run off with my original G42. It's a hard gun not to like if one is down with .380s.

Once they switched to the second gen slide lock lever and trigger housing (and ostensibly, the newer rounded mags, though mine, er...my wife's, uses old mags just fine) they reportedly became more Glock-like in their reliability.

Tangentially, when I gave my wife her pick from the safe, preparing the range outing looked a bit like that scene from the first Matrix: "We'll need guns. Lots of guns." Sort of. I let her try a representative of everything I had that was remotely shooter-friendly (I admit to holding my breath when she tried my Denny Reichard-tuned NY-1 K-frame) so she could choose. The 42 was the clear winner. Fine by me.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 06-08-2016 at 09:22 PM.

I guess a 6 round .380 is better than no gun, but it also wont help if she cant shoot the LCP in a situation where multiple rounds are needed ontarget. I found her a G42 to test, will look for a LCP.

User Tag List