Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Firearm on someone for first time... detailed account

Given what I've read, if say it's extremely fortunate you're relaying the event to us as opposed to a news outlet reporting on either:

A. A homeowner killed with his own gun

Or

B. A nosy homeowner who took the law into his own hands (Zimmerman-style crucifixion).

All things considered, I'm glad you're unharmed and were not forced to plug that dirtbag. I would commend you on your restrain, however I feel it may be better described as deadly hesitation/reluctance. There were two points I'd say you'd have had a green light to put rounds down range, ESPECIALLY when he reached for the cell phone. That would've been the end of that little circus side-show (and the beginning of the three-ring circus). Whatever quarrels you have about possibly taking a life, you need to make peace with them if you're going to carry around a gun in any capacity. Had you shot him, it would've been fear-biting. Please get training and decide now what circumstances would force you into shooting someone.

Next, as others have recommended, take into consideration all of the repercussions of using deadly force in this situation (as well as future). In this incident, had you shot the male party, you'd be buying some local attorney a new sports car, whether defending yourself in criminal court or civil. I can guarantee the wife would've brought a lawsuit against you for shooting her beloved husband, whether he lived or died.

Depending on how your local prosecutor is feeling, they could make you out as a vigilante for traversing the considerable distance from your home to where the incident was occurring. As referenced earlier, take a look at the Zimmerman debacle.

If nothing else, view this as a solid learning opportunity. The more knowledgeable here could recommend the specifics to train up on.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 06-09-2016 at 04:22 AM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Honestly, I'm impressed you didn't pull the trigger. You had your gun drawn on someone and let them get within three yards and then they reached in their pocket.

My take is this: if you didn't have a gun with you would you have gotten involved? If it doesn't involve you or a loved one directly my actions are the same whether I have a gun or not. Guns aren't tough guy badges to get involved in domestic violence. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    . At this point the gun was still on the man, finger off the trigger, he turned and walked starting to go down the road at this point. During this the woman was yelling to stop that was her husband. From the way she acted and spoke as well I could only assume that she was also high.
    First clue that you should have stayed in the good observer category on this one.

Getting involved in a domestic situation is highly dubious for you. There is minimal upside. There is no clear good guy or bad guy.

One thing I've learned from reading here is that often times the female victim in these circumstances will pose an additional threat to you--either in terms of a second physical assailant or later in the courts.

You literally can't count on the distressed damsel to be your friend when the dust settles. This is a huge risk to folks intervening.

I personally won't get involved unless I see copious bloodshed.

Alternative situation if you had to or felt compelled to get involved:

Call 911.

Stand back and observe.

You can be all geared up all you want but keep it concealed.

if the situation escalates in your direction then you can respond as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    First clue that you should have stayed in the good observer category on this one.

Getting involved in a domestic situation is highly dubious for you. There is minimal upside. There is no clear good guy or bad guy.

One thing I've learned from reading here is that often times the female victim in these circumstances will pose an additional threat to you--either in terms of a second physical assailant or later in the courts.

You literally can't count on the distressed damsel to be your friend when the dust settles. This is a huge risk to folks intervening.

I personally won't get involved unless I see copious bloodshed.

Alternative situation if you had to or felt compelled to get involved:

Call 911.

Stand back and observe.

You can be all geared up all you want but keep it concealed.

if the situation escalates in your direction then you can respond as needed.
    Note also- perhaps the "Damsel" is the instigator. Abusive relationships aren't a one-gender concept these days. A man beating on a woman (as a witness may see) might actually be defending himself from an attack she started before the witness noticed.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

First, I was just a jack booted thug, so BehindBlueI's detective magic is like showing a caveman a Zippo.

Second, not surprisingly SouthNarc's timeline is awesome. Verbal commands and pointed guns don't always impress people.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Goddamn, I need to catch a SouthNarc class...
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    /thread
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    First, I was just a jack booted thug, so BehindBlueI's detective magic is like showing a caveman a Zippo.
    I googled that shit up. That is about the most fascinating thing I've seen all week.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Everyone needs to take a SouthNarc class.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Seriously: This is some very, very cool stuff.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List