Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illinois CCW

I don't believe you can even bring the forearms and ammo you own into the state until you get a FOID card (which won't happen until you're a resident of IL). You might be ok if y'all live in base housing but moving in and out would be a worrisome drive.

I just went to a shooting range in Illinois and produced my Wisconsin driver ID and shot. No offense El Cid but by your logic no one could ever use the interstate in illinois if they were moving across country with their firearms.

edit to add: you can also conceal a handgun in your vehicle in illinois (loaded) as long as you have a valid CCW from any other state.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 06-08-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I just went to a shooting range in Illinois and produced my Wisconsin driver ID and shot. No offense El Cid but by your logic no one could ever use the interstate in illinois if they were moving across country with their firearms.

edit to add: you can also conceal a handgun in your vehicle in illinois (loaded) as long as you have a valid CCW from any other state.
    None taken. I'm not a lawyer nor do I have to suffer living behind enemy lines. Your wife may get some good Intel from the Scott AFB JAG and Security Forces about what's permitted. But my understanding of traversing a state and living in one is that there are legal differences. I was active duty for a long time and the Soldiers, Sailers Releif act protects in some areas. But if I'd been stationed in a band state I wouldn't be exempted from their gun laws.
    Last edited by El Cid; 06-08-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    None taken. I'm not a lawyer nor do I have to suffer living behind enemy lines. Your wife may get some good Intel from the Scott AFB JAG and Security Forces about what's permitted. But my understanding of traversing a state and living in one is that there are legal differences. I was active duty for a long time and the Soldiers, Sailers Releif act protects in some areas. But if I'd been stationed in a band state I wouldn't be exempted from their gun laws.
    You are correct, but they have clarified that Active duty is recommended to get a Foid card if they want to purchase firearms or ammo in the state. I am not active duty and according to even illinois state police website I can not apply for one. This makes me a non resident in there eyes and I am able to own my firearms without a foid card. I am going to seek clarification but this cannot be a first for people moving to Scott with firearms. All of mine are completely legal to own in their state but this is probably one of the most confusing situations I have had in awhile.

May find some info here,

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/

User Tag List