Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving to our new base in southern Illinois

Driving to our new base in southern Illinois

Hello all, trying to plan a route from southern Wisconsin to right outside St.Louis. The quickest two routes take me right by Chicago (possible even through the city limits, not sure on that) and am wondering how I need to transport my firearms and magazines. Do my magazines need to be unloaded? I plan on having them locked in a different bag then my firearms but am kind of confused how this works.

Also if they do should it be guns locked in a container, mags in a different bag, and then ammo locked seperate from guns and magazines?
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 06-07-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Ever since their new law went into affect, I just drive through concealed and loaded up. With my MI permit, not sure about other states, we are now allowed to be loaded as long as we don't get out of the car.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting...armLegally.pdf

If you have a concealed carry license from your state as a resident, you can have a loaded handgun on your person - inside of a car - but outside of it is a no-no. So, if you get out for gas and to take a leak with your gun on your hip, you're in violation of the law.

Long-guns. UNLOADED. Cased. Ammunition can be in magazines, but they must be cased separately of the long-gun. So you could have a loaded AR-magazine in say an ammo-box, and an unloaded AR in a case and be fine. Loaded AR magazine in the case with the AR? Starting to border on issues.

Also, on the freeway you won't have any major issues driving through Chicago. My suggestion is to time your drive through so you are NOT in Chicago during rush hour. Otherwise you could spend a long time in traffic.

PS: I haven't yet seen someone get stopped on the freeway for a traffic stop. That's not to say it can't happen, but drive normally and don't worry. Chicago PD has real problems to worry about over jamming you up. (This isn't New Jersey...yet).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.

PS: I haven't yet seen someone get stopped on the freeway for a traffic stop. That's not to say it can't happen, but drive normally and don't worry. Chicago PD has real problems to worry about over jamming you up. (This isn't New Jersey...yet).
    When I lived there ISP was on the expressways making stops quite often. Been a few years though so no idea if they still do that.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

What Lon said^^^

I'd point out that I used to see tons of police once you get past the near suburbs and start heading towards St Louis. There is a stretch of interstate where there are often police, often in places you don't see until it's too late. I wanna say the worst is near McLean County, but it's been a while since I've made the drive. It's kind of easy to start driving fast if traffic is light because the land is so flat and you can see so far ahead of you on the road...
    Last edited by scw2; 06-07-2016 at 07:06 PM.

I assume you are visiting/moving to Scott AFB. I recommend watching watching your speed until South of the Chicago metro area. After that set your cruise at 5 over and I doubt a trooper will look at you twice. I'm assuming you'll take I55. ISP does/has patrolled heavily from the south edge of Springfield (the academy is right off the interstate) down a couple exits. After that, barring a holiday weekend, I doubt you'll pass another trooper. The state is broke, and they don't patrol as much. Get off I55 at the Rt4 Lebanon/Stauton exit. Take Rt4 to I64 and you're two or three exits away from Scott. Lived in Springfield for a few years, IMO it's the quickest route.

"Is it illegal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm? No, if the firearm is unloaded and is properly enclosed in a case and the individual possessing the firearm and ammunition is in possession of a valid FOID card. "

So, as long as the guns are legally owned, unloaded, and in an enclosed case you are go to go. Mags can be loaded and in the same case, just not inserted into the firearm. Nothing wrong with keeping things separate but it isn't required. Also, because you're from out of state so the FOID card bit doesn't apply. If you are moving, there is a grace period, so the FOID still would not apply.
    Last edited by minengr; 06-07-2016 at 08:29 PM.

I actually found a route that takes me no where near cook county. Only 15 minutes longer but I run zero risk of hitting traffic so I'm happy.

not to let this thread die, anyone in illinois want to get togehter and shoot somewhere? I am still trying to figure out if I can gt my illinois CCW because I am stationed here..? Either way I still love to shoot and plan on doing everything I can so I can carry in illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    not to let this thread die, anyone in illinois want to get togehter and shoot somewhere? I am still trying to figure out if I can gt my illinois CCW because I am stationed here..? Either way I still love to shoot and plan on doing everything I can so I can carry in illinois.
    Sure man... If I'm ever down there, I'll let you know.

If your ever up here, lemme know...

Down there, you're not too far from Quincy, IL: USPSA Nationals are often in Barry, IL (15 minutes east of Quincy)

Good luck with the move... IL is bad, but not as bad as most people think...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Sure man... If I'm ever down there, I'll let you know.

If your ever up here, lemme know...

Down there, you're not too far from Quincy, IL: USPSA Nationals are often in Barry, IL (15 minutes east of Quincy)

Good luck with the move... IL is bad, but not as bad as most people think...
    My parents live in Kenosha so I'll be up there a lot

User Tag List