Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Average time to draw and fire?

Concealed times:

FAST: 1.8. - 2.0
    Bill: 1.5 - 1.7
    Best concealed (appendix) draw with an audiance: 1.28 - this was at the Langdon course during a close speed drill.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 06-07-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Gabe, is the increased time for the multiple shots due to having to get a better grip on the gun to manage the recoil?
    Not Gabe, but yes. With a single shot, you only have to guarantee enough grip to hold onto the gun; with multiple shots in a string, you need to be able to control recoil effectively as well.

That's definitely true, but I think there is also a mental component to the time difference.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Ok, I'm gonna wade in way out of my depth:

From a "defensive" point of view could it be said that we're building training scars by working to speed of first shot at the price of controlled follow up shots?

Or can the two practices be kept separate and applied as required?

I don't think we're building training scars, this observable difference is just the way it works when you have a person perform their one draw under different conditions.
    Lord of the Food Court

I've been practicing the draw a lot lately. The way I practice is shooting at the plates on a plate rack at 10 yards. I need to practice more with my EDC holster. With an OWB holster at 3:00 and my EDC G19 I average about 1.35-1.40. I have done it as fast as 1.21 after warming up.
    I going to try it next week with my EDC holster (IWB@ 4:00) at 7 yards and see what I get.

Average time to draw and fire?

I've been practicing the draw a lot lately. The way I practice is shooting at the plates on a plate rack at 10 yards. I need to practice more with my EDC holster. With an OWB holster at 3:00 and my EDC G19 I average about 1.35-1.40. I have done it as fast as 1.21 after warming up. I have never practiced dry fire. I need to do that.
    I going to try it ( live fire) next week with my EDC holster (IWB@ 4:00) at 7 yards and see what I get.
    Last edited by Appalachained; 06-08-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Ok, I'm gonna wade in way out of my depth:

From a "defensive" point of view could it be said that we're building training scars by working to speed of first shot at the price of controlled follow up shots?

Or can the two practices be kept separate and applied as required?
    Faster is faster like stronger is stronger. If you can speed up your draw to first shot "1 shot strings" then your draw to "multi shot strings" will benefit too....

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Faster is faster like stronger is stronger. If you can speed up your draw to first shot "1 shot strings" then your draw to "multi shot strings" will benefit too....
    Exactly!
    Lord of the Food Court

- IPSC Metric target, top part of the body A-zone (above the tip of the "A")
    - Strong side IWB, 20° cant
    - Double action pistol
    - 7 meters

My average draw time is about 1.85s +- 0.15s. About. Lately I've been sucking badly at practice so who knows - probably shoot a squirrel out of a tree the next time I try this... :P

I do try to do a few (10 is my minimum, with half one-handed and half free style) draws every morning, but my problem is that I do not trust myself when under-caffeinated and not fully awake - so I only draw to a sight picture, I do not touch the trigger. The plan is to do more dry fire with trigger manipulation included once I get back home in the evenings. The plan never works. One of these days I'll come up with a better plan... :P

User Tag List