Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Average time to draw and fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    OP: what's your draw time?

General consensus: depends on target and mode of carry

Voodoo: says A zone 7 yard draws are under 1.0 seconds. Says 7 yard draws to FBI coke bottle (bigger than A) is .8-.9. Says drills with multiple strings including shots to a credit card (smaller than 3x5) is 1.1-1.3.

Me: voodoo seems to have lots of data on his training, so I ask what his draw time was too a 3x5 (FAST) because of his draw to a credit card is 1.1-1.3, that's smokin, and I'd be interested to know his total time.

Voodoo: Luke is drifting from the OP.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Specv View Post
    I continue to look over the forums for an answer to this question. What is an average time to draw and fire one round from concealment from seven yards? Also how do you classify the times? I ask because I run an average of 1.7 seconds from concealment with an open top holster and my HK VP9 with HD sights. I would like to know what others can do and how I can become faster.
    I think a 1.5 second concealed draw to a -0/A Zone at 7 yards or 2 seconds onto a 3x5 card at 7 yards concealed is a good number for regular folk to aspire to.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    With regards to warm up...I obviously can't speak for everyone , but I do know who some of the posters in this thread are either personally or by reputation. Some folks have been serious shooters/gun handlers/gun carriers for many years. Their cold times might legitimately be what a "warmed up" time is for others. Some folks out there literally do dry fire and draw work every day...as such they are always warmed up when compared to those who handle less frequently.
    My post was not directed at anyone on here. I hope it wasn't taken that way. What you wrote makes sense and I've never thought of it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

No worries . I was just pointing out that if someone does dry work 7 days a week and they get into something then the last time they handled was 24 hours at the most. If they do 10 to 20 draws from concealment each morning before they leave the house they are probably walking around every day "warmed up" when compared to the guy who has not shot in 2 months and who never does any dry work at all....And there are far more of the "no dry work guys" than the more...dedicated. But that is just a matter of lifestyle and priorities.

Some guys make the time to go bowling every Tuesday, some guys make the time to lift and run every day, and some make the time to do dry work. Just a matter of discipline. Nothing inherently wrong with any of them. But the guy who bowls once every blue moon is gonna roll a 100 and the guy who does dry work semi annually is gonna be a lot slower than the guy who hits it every day...and the guy who never lifts is not going to be as big and strong as the gym rat who lifts all the time. The more time invested the better results and I know some here are heavily invested.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    "If you can bring that average down to roughly 1 second, you won't be hurting. That time won't win any speed awards but is a good place to be, especially if you are working on other aspects of shooting too."

T,
    1 second , down 0 on a IDPA target at 7 yrds from concealment might not win any speed awards in your factory sponsored rarified air but out here in the real world that is extremely fast.

As GJM stated, 1.7 is very solid and could be pared down with practice I am sure.

FWIW
    No offense intended. And there's no rarified air here. I get to shoot some cool guns that most civilians don't, but if I want to get better, that's all on me. In reading this thread, a lot of people are too accepting of slow draw times. That's particularly strange to me since I am of the opinion that a fast draw is much more important from a self-defense point of view than a competition point of view. I can get by with a pretty slow draw in competition for the most part, but I am a lot more concerned with the ability to draw to a rapid hit when it comes to defensive skills.

Look. A 1 second draw isn't that hard to get on a big target like an 8" circle at 7 yards. I can get most guys who do that in 2 seconds down to well under 1 second in the course of a two hour lesson. In my experience, once you can do it in that time, consistency just takes a bit more work. If people are fine with a 1.5 second draw to a big easy target like an 8" target at 7 yards, rock on. But if you don't want to settle for mediocrity it's not that much effort to get well under that.
    TY83544

Talionis, I'm curious as to some consistent aspects of the presentation process that you are able to help shooters tighten up. I'm sure there are some things unique to individuals, but I assume that there is some stuff that tends to be common weak spots in gaining that .5 second.

Quote Originally Posted by mc1911 View Post
    Talionis, I'm curious as to some consistent aspects of the presentation process that you are able to help shooters tighten up. I'm sure there are some things unique to individuals, but I assume that there is some stuff that tends to be common weak spots in gaining that .5 second.
    There are usually a lot of efficiency problems with people who have never seen their draw (I like to grab video and show them how much excess movement they are making), but the main areas I see people losing time are a) lack of urgency and b) over aiming for the difficulty of the target.
    TY83544

I think that this is a solid approach to building up speed, but still maintaining good form, instead of trying to go too fast too soon and creating bad mechanics.

Last edited by DacoRoman; 06-06-2016 at 09:50 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    For more data, here are some times from last weekend. I consider myself to be a slightly above average shooter. The drill is one that I improvised; time being time from draw to first hit on a 2" circle @5yd, 2nd number being # of mikes before the hit that was recorded (i.e. I shot at each dot until I got a hit, only recorded the time to the hit, not to the misses. Shot with an IDPA legal Kydex holster, no concealment, using the 4 guns as per below. The scores are also listed in order - you can see that by he time I got down to the Gen 3 Glock 19 I was nice and warmed up.

G3G17: 1.79 0M; 1.73 0M; 1.94 1M; 1.93 2M; 2.04 1M; 1.96 1M [Avg:1.90 Sec, 0.8M
    G4G17: 1.83 0M; 1.91 0M; 1.94 2M; 1.78 1M; 1.60 1M; 1.83 3M Avg:1.815 Sec, 1.16M
    G4G19: 1.77 1M; 1.70 0M; 1.86 0M; 1.83 0M; 1.65 0m; 1.66 1M Avg:1.745 Sec, 0.3M
    G3G19: 1.80 0M; 1.76 0M; 1.77 1m; 1.54 1m; 1.54 0m; 1.57 5M Avg:1.66 Sec, 1.16M
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-07-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Warmed up
    IDPA target
    7 yards
    1 shot COM
    3 o'clock kydex holster
    No concealment

I'm working to get it under 1.00.

User Tag List