Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Average time to draw and fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    what are your fast times? That's a smokin time to first shot.
    Fastest I've ever put down was a .81 from concealment aiwb. That was a one off, honestly. I can do .98-ish without much warmup on a mansize target.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Fastest I've ever put down was a .81 from concealment aiwb. That was a one off, honestly. I can do .98-ish without much warmup on a mansize target.
    If you open the target area up, sure we can all run fast. But for me, my hits must be acceptable and at 7 yards, it's an 8" circle. When I stop seeing the sights, I can get as fast as 1.1-1.3 but I cannot ever recall breaking the 1 second barrier.

I mandate the seeing of the front sight prior to breaking my shots.

I was asking about draw times to the 3x5 in the FAST test. The 1.1- 1.3 to the credit card you mentioned seems insanely fast, that's why I was curious to see your total FAST time.
    Last edited by Luke; 06-06-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Here is a nice video of Mike Pannone getting after it at 10 yards.

Another with more speed. Looking very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I was asking about draw times to the 3x5 in the FAST test. The 1.1- 1.3 to the credit card you mentioned seems insanely fast, that's why I was curious to see your total FAST time.
    Must have missed that in the OP.

I find the FAST has a few flaws and the overall time is measured by a few variables which are very subjective - clothing, equipment, gun position, etc.

I think the last time I ran the fast drill was at the greenops class, granted it was cold, raining and I reloaded from concealment as well, I was right under 6 seconds? or was it right at 6.1x? or something? I don't remember exactly.

I have hit sub 6 seconds in my duty rig a few times, have not done it recently though.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Lots of folks conflate what they have done with their on demand ability. I remember my peak performances almost forever, and can forget screw ups immediately.

At USPSA matches, I see really good shooters in the 1.3 range for the draw. Of course, they are balancing the upside of a fast draw with the downside of shooting a string with a bad draw.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The one time draw speed mattered in life, I had my entire life to get it done.

My draw time that put me on the "FAST Wall of Fame" was 1.97 seconds, and my ultimate run was a 4.81.

Focusing on solid fundamentals and practice will get done what you want/need to get done whether it be for SD or Competition. Worrying over minutia has you chasing but one very insignificant goal in a situation where bigger and better concerns await. But that's just me.

Must have missed that in the OP.

I find the FAST has a few flaws and the overall time is measured by a few variables which are very subjective - clothing, equipment, gun position, etc.

I think the last time I ran the fast drill was at the greenops class, granted it was cold, raining and I reloaded from concealment as well, I was right under 6 seconds? or was it right at 6.1x? or something? I don't remember exactly.

I have hit sub 6 seconds in my duty rig a few times, have not done it recently though.
    I think what he was wanting to know is was what your draw to first shot time was on the FAST drill....
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 06-06-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    I think he was wanting to know is was what your draw to first shot time was on the FAST drill.
    I see that's what's this is going to now, but that's not what was in the OP...

Either way, having goals and personal standards that change over time and become more aggressively difficult is the best method for allowing yourself to progress.
    VDMSR.com

OP: what's your draw time?

General consensus: depends on target and mode of carry

Voodoo: says A zone 7 yard draws are under 1.0 seconds. Says 7 yard draws to FBI coke bottle (bigger than A) is .8-.9. Says drills with multiple strings including shots to a credit card (smaller than 3x5) is 1.1-1.3.

Me: voodoo seems to have lots of data on his training, so I ask what his draw time was too a 3x5 (FAST) because of his draw to a credit card is 1.1-1.3, that's smokin, and I'd be interested to know his total time.

Voodoo: Luke is drifting from the OP.
    Last edited by Luke; 06-06-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List