Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Average time to draw and fire?

I did some dry runs this week to test it out. Concealment garment was what I wear daily to actually conceal guns: an untucked shirt long enough to really cover them in daily activity.

Timer at 1.5, it was easy to draw/dry fire either my 92F IWB or the J frame AIWB. Set at 1.2 I could still make it with the J, probably not with the Beretta.

I don't have timer data, but in a class Tom Givens watched me draw-fire with the 92 OWB under concealment, and I had to be at 1.2-1.3 to make the number of shots. There is a difference between my OWB and IWB times though.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I really appreciate everyone taking an interest in this. The reason I did the fifty rounds in a row was to start some sort of data to work off of. I have found that I can be as fast as 1.47 seconds but I was trying to see what the average is for everyone not so much the best time. I believe everyone will have that day when the gates open and you can fly. I am looking more for the mixed result of a good day and bad. I am planning on shooting this at four month intervals to see progress.

Today in practice I tried a larger target than usual. I used the 'A' zone of a riposte-2 target, which is roughly common in area with an IDPA -0 I guess. My usual target for D1s at 7 is a 3x5 or 2" dot. I was running 1.4x, which is about 0.4 faster than my typical time for the smaller target. I Did use the larger area, and had one miss out of 5 (1.39). I did not predict that I would be able to make myself use the larger area and go faster.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Lately I've been sucking badly at practice so who knows - probably shoot a squirrel out of a tree the next time I try this... :P
    Well, Strangely enough no squirrels were shot in practice today. The results were not flattering, though...

Drill: Draw and shoot once.
    Target used: IDPA (All out of IPSC targets...)
    Distance: 7 meters
    Gun: Walther P99
    Holster: IWB
    Cover garment: closed front shirt
    Start position: The "high Merkel" non-confrontational ready stance ( )

I had serious trouble trying to get my time under 2s. Slowest was 2.47s - granted, I did have the hem of the shirt wrapped around my thumb during the whole draw... Fastest was 1.85s. Normally, my times were a tad over tow seconds. Accuracy was nowhere near what i'd call good, either, but surprisingly just about every shot was a -0 - that down zero ring is huge! (And then I did the same drill, but weapon-hand only. And that's when it really got ugly, time-wise...)

(I did later on recover a bit from this tour de suck I've been on. Did some D2's to 3" post-it notes with identical setup as above - and some of my first shots were approaching my draw times from above. Felt almost like myself shooting those. Perhaps there is some hope of recovery...)
    Last edited by That Guy; 06-11-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Writing complete sentences would probably be better.

From what I've seen in classes and competition, the standards for a single shot to the A/-0 zone from concealment at 7 yards are:

Master: Sub 1.1 seconds
    Expert: 1.1-1.4 seconds
    Intermediate/SS: 1.4 - 2.0 seconds
    Novice: 2.0+

My best draws to such a target are 0.95 from vested IDPA concealment, 1.06 from under a polo, and 0.75 unconcealed from open top kydex. My FAST first shots are typically sub 1.8, with an overall best of 4.50 (1.71 / .47 / 1.72 / .17 / .21 / .22). SSP MA

Necropost, sorry.

Just got my first ever shot timer (AMG Lab) and been dry firing. Thanks for this thread, had no idea where I stood.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    2-ish not warmed up from concealment. A few draws gets me to 2 flat and then 1.7-ish. This is running a G19 or G17 from a JM Custom AIWB or CCC Shaggy on a 3x5 card at 5 yards. What helped me the most (aside from taking classes and shooting with the late, great ToddG) was always using a small target and bringing a similar skilled buddy to critique like the FAST coin holder JV. Training buddies help a lot. I'd strongly recommend doing the Drills of the week (DOTWs for short). No one will talk trash, everyone will be helpful and if you do them, you will get better.
    Having the exact same result. Fastest was 1.5 second. I haven't done much draw practice, maybe 500 reps. I don't want to ingrain bad habits. Any suggestions on working the draw + getting faster? Or should I just not practice until I've taken a class?

G19 MOS with Trijicon RM01 and X300U A
    Phlster Floodlight
    6 feet from extension to target (length of bedroom wall to closet wall). Target is a post-it note. 5/8 Circle with a 3/16" dot drawn on the post-it. I try to put the red dot on the 3/16" circle (that's a perfect shot) if I hit the 5/8" circle it's decent and the post it is an "ungh". Off the post it is a "fuck".
    I do all this from concealment under a t-shirt.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I broke sub 1 second this weekend but it was my competition rig and not concealed. Was .93 @ 10 yards. I can dry fire at .6 - .7 fairly consistently but I have noticed during actual completion, when I check, I am around 1.3 range. I seem to be a little to careful I think, need to relax and let it go like I do in practice.

I haven’t practiced nearly as much lately from aiwb but dry fire is just under 1 second, live fire I typically am 1.2 - 1.3 when focused on it. Best has been 1.12 again at 10 yards is typically the distance I shoot if practicing my draw. But as I said, haven’t worked much with my edc set up which I need to, been focused on my competition set up.

Dry fire really works here but one thing that immediately helped me speed up was to have the target literally just out of reach of my arms extended and work pure speed. All I focused on was hearing the beep and going as fast as I can while still in control. Not worried about target focus at first but just getting the feel of going very fast. Within 10 draws I lowered my times by easily 4 to 5 hundredths of a second. Once you feel it, it becomes easier to drop your times. Still need to get sub 1 consistant but just a few month ago I couldn’t get lower that 1.4 at all, now that seems slow.

Try the Gabe White Standards - Gabe lines out the target times and breaks them into bands.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

30 reps @ 7yds to USPSA A-zone yesterday. Beretta 92A1 from JM OWB holster (no concealment). By prepping the trigger I can get pretty close to 1 sec, but at this point my "C" hits go up. Based on this, average draw to A (guaranteed hit) is 1.3

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Try the Gabe White Standards - Gabe lines out the target times and breaks them into bands.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post511721

Draw from Concealment (this includes 0.25s bonus for concealment) to the A-Zone, with an expectation that additional shots with 'fast' splits will follow to the A-Zone - meaning, this isn't a 1-shot speed draw test. There is also an expectation of being able to repeat this on demand for additional tests, so this isn't a 'Personal Best' type of test. Keep in mind that I am pulling just the draw piece out of the G.W.S., there is more to each of the 4 tests.

Turbo Pin: 1.25s, .20s Split

Light Pin: 1.50s, .25s Split

Dark Pin: 1.75s, .40s Split

I can hit Light Pin times with great consistency when warm, often when cold, and Turbo pins some of the time when warm.

Gabe often points out that Dark Pin level is a reasonable level of proficiency for defending yourself.
    His Turbo Pin times were based on the performance of top shooters for well-known drills.

Paging @Mr_White
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List