Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Average time to draw and fire?

Average time to draw and fire?

I continue to look over the forums for an answer to this question. What is an average time to draw and fire one round from concealment from seven yards? Also how do you classify the times? I ask because I run an average of 1.7 seconds from concealment with an open top holster and my HK VP9 with HD sights. I would like to know what others can do and how I can become faster.

1.7 is very solid, better than most American shooters. With work, you can be significantly faster. Practice this dry fire with descending par times.

There likely will be a difference between the time "warmed up" versus cold, and a difference between one shot draws versus shooting multi-shot strings. Lots of times that get thrown around on the web represent warmed up, one shot, best ever performance.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What I have done is run fifty rounds and averaged those times down. I vary between 1.47 and 1.9. I am just starting to keep track of the times and record them in excel. I have also setup a dry fire routine. I have been shooting IDPA for the last three years and also doing armed security work which needs me to requal. twice a year. I am faster then most of the people I work with and normally place within the top five of local matches. I also shoot the Maryland State IDPA and come in tenth out of 133. I am curious what the average times are for others and even the top guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Specv View Post
    What I have done is run fifty rounds and averaged those times down. I vary between 1.47 and 1.9. I am just starting to keep track of the times and record them in excel. I have also setup a dry fire routine. I have been shooting IDPA for the last three years and also doing armed security work which needs me to requal. twice a year. I am faster then most of the people I work with and normally place within the top five of local matches. I also shoot the Maryland State IDPA and come in tenth out of 133. I am curious what the average times are for others and even the top guys.
    As I alluded to above, to get a meaningful answer, you need to specify:

shot from concealment or open

shot to what size target

what is the scoring system references hits outside the target zone

how many shot strings

warmed up or cold

at match or solo practice

done once or "X" times consecutively

Without these things being specified, the answers you get will be meaningless.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gotcha.

Starting at seven yards, centered on target, hands by side draw and fire one round at an IDPA target. I use standard IDPA scoring. Concealment for me at this time is using a vest. I know I don't carry that way but it puts it on a even playing field. I use a Comp-Tac holster at the three o clock position.

Shot from concealment
    IDPA target
    IDPA scoring
    50 rounds
    cold
    solo practice
    I do this once a month

If you can bring that average down to roughly 1 second, you won't be hurting. That time won't win any speed awards but is a good place to be, especially if you are working on other aspects of shooting too.
    TY83544

2-ish not warmed up from concealment. A few draws gets me to 2 flat and then 1.7-ish. This is running a G19 or G17 from a JM Custom AIWB or CCC Shaggy on a 3x5 card at 5 yards. What helped me the most (aside from taking classes and shooting with the late, great ToddG) was always using a small target and bringing a similar skilled buddy to critique like the FAST coin holder JV. Training buddies help a lot. I'd strongly recommend doing the Drills of the week (DOTWs for short). No one will talk trash, everyone will be helpful and if you do them, you will get better.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 06-06-2016 at 06:34 AM.
    #RESIST

Another good place to look would be the FAST thread we have going. Most people will put the shot to shot break down (like your supposed too) and you can see their shot times. Everyone shooting that drill is shooting from the same distance (7yards) at the same target (3x5 or the body) with 98% of the people shooting it from concealment.

My draw times on the FAST are ~1.80 from concealment (AIWB) and ~1.30 from no concealment to the index card.
    i used to wannabe

I shoot a lot. My average draw from concealment is 1.3 - 1.7 Cold. My target is an IDPA -0 from 7-yards. When I shrink the target size down to a 3X5 I hover around the 2.0 second range. My mode of carry is AIWB when not wearing a uniform. My FAST averages between 5.2 - 5.8 Cold as well. All these sub-second draws from concealment claims while getting the necessary hits I'd have to witness for myself.
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 06-06-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Like someone mentioned earlier we need to quantify what we are actually asking. It is like asking "what do you bench? One rep max? Or what can you do 8 reps with? Those answers are very different.

How far a target and how big?

If it is an IDPA target -1 or -0 zone shot at 3 yards? Maybe .75 to 1.0 from concealment.

Same size target (0 or -1 IDPA) at 7 yards? .85 to just over a second. But again that is accepting a -1 or a -0. Guaranteed -0 hit at 7 yards is probably 1.20 .

Index card 1 round at 7 yards? About 1.20 to 1.30 again from concealment.

Three rounds to the -0 at 5 yards is about 1.5 to 1.6.

A double tap at the index card at 7 yards is 1.6 to 1.8 .I say "AT" the card because those will be close enough to fit inside the card they just both might not be on it. I shoot that with 1 on and 1 just off the card quite a bit in the 1.6 to 1.8 range. A guaranteed pair on the card runs right at 2. And again all of this is from concealment.

I shot the 2x2x2 drill in Dave Spaulding's class with one on the card and one just barely off in 1.6 and when he asked me to do it again slower to see if I could get it if I slowed down I did it in 1.89 with one on the card and one cutting the edge of the card but of course I didn't get the coin because the 1st attempt is the only one that counts.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 06-06-2016 at 08:23 AM.

User Tag List