Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Average time to draw and fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Necropost, sorry.

Just got my first ever shot timer (AMG Lab) and been dry firing. Thanks for this thread, had no idea where I stood.

Having the exact same result. Fastest was 1.5 second. I haven't done much draw practice, maybe 500 reps. I don't want to ingrain bad habits. Any suggestions on working the draw + getting faster? Or should I just not practice until I've taken a class?

G19 MOS with Trijicon RM01 and X300U A
    Phlster Floodlight
    6 feet from extension to target (length of bedroom wall to closet wall). Target is a post-it note. 5/8 Circle with a 3/16" dot drawn on the post-it. I try to put the red dot on the 3/16" circle (that's a perfect shot) if I hit the 5/8" circle it's decent and the post it is an "ungh". Off the post it is a "fuck".
    I do all this from concealment under a t-shirt.
    It would be a great idea if you can get a basic, quality draw technique down before grinding it in with a lot of reps. Getting training first is a good idea. You may be able to research/watch tutorials and not do too badly. I'd caution that a significant portion of quality draw instruction is in managing holster work safely. There are some not-obvious safety issues that can arise and have to be managed when working with a holster. That's where quality in-person instruction really comes in.

Once you are satisfied that you have a safe, reasonably efficient draw to work with, there is a ton you can practice. Here's a drill to work the draw, though it isn't going to teach you how to draw in the first place: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-312-200-Draws

Good luck and be safe!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    this is my concern - I am trying to do some dry fire including draws, but i don't have any recent training on any of it, so i worry about reinforcing the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    It would be a great idea if you can get a basic, quality draw technique down before grinding it in with a lot of reps. Getting training first is a good idea. You may be able to research/watch tutorials and not do too badly. I'd caution that a significant portion of quality draw instruction is in managing holster work safely. There are some not-obvious safety issues that can arise and have to be managed when working with a holster. That's where quality in-person instruction really comes in.

Once you are satisfied that you have a safe, reasonably efficient draw to work with, there is a ton you can practice. Here's a drill to work the draw, though it isn't going to teach you how to draw in the first place: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-312-200-Draws

Good luck and be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    this is my concern - I am trying to do some dry fire including draws, but i don't have any recent training on any of it, so i worry about reinforcing the wrong thing.
    I felt a little bad with my last post, because I know it doesn't contain the answers about HOW to draw. I imagine there are some great tutorials out there - I just don't know any off the top of my head to reference. I'd really hate to give somebody incomplete draw instruction and then have something go wrong. It's big enough that a post alone will NOT cover it all. Drawing and holstering is not very complicated; however, there are still ways that a person might go really wrong and I'm certain that they are not obvious to everyone.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 03-12-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    There are some not-obvious safety issues that can arise and have to be managed when working with a holster.
    Any chance you could go over what some of those might be?

(Asking as someone who does not have good access to quality training...)

User Tag List