Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Becoming a Police Officer"

Just saw thread.

While I do not have any suggestions in terms of West coast LE, I can tell you that patience is very a virtue with this whole process. Relax, take a deep breath and take one bite of the pie at a time. You will get to where you are going
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Ditto on what voodoo said with the patience, it's a journey and sometimes doors that closed you will be thankful that they did later. When I got into the game a lot of Agencies were on hiring freezes and or just looking for experienced certified applicants. I would never trade the experience or the brothers I gained at my first agency where I cut my teeth. Most of them left that agency as well but some have stayed. SLG made a post that's pretty dead on with the reasons and sentiments with large metro/city agencies vs smaller or more rural areas. I don't know how the west coast works with retirement and other things as far as that goes. If you ever have any particular questions or anything feel free to pm me, I'll at least give an opinion or my experience for what little it's worth. Also I'm currently an FTO at the agency I left my first one for, so I can offer a prespective from both being a trainee and being the trainer which again is biased to me and my attitude/style.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Ditto on what voodoo said with the patience, it's a journey and sometimes doors that closed you will be thankful that they did later. When I got into the game a lot of Agencies were on hiring freezes and or just looking for experienced certified applicants. I would never trade the experience or the brothers I gained at my first agency where I cut my teeth. Most of them left that agency as well but some have stayed. SLG made a post that's pretty dead on with the reasons and sentiments with large metro/city agencies vs smaller or more rural areas. I don't know how the west coast works with retirement and other things as far as that goes. If you ever have any particular questions or anything feel free to pm me, I'll at least give an opinion or my experience for what little it's worth. Also I'm currently an FTO at the agency I left my first one for, so I can offer a prespective from both being a trainee and being the trainer which again is biased to me and my attitude/style.
    Thank you for your response.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Regardless of who you are and where you work, this job will change you.

Be prepared for the grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post

This is truth.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I just hope that when the day comes that I am 'tested' I do the right thing. Whether I am an officer or not. I can't brag or talk about false bravado or fake courage--I've never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I just hope that when the day comes that I am 'tested' I do the right thing. Whether I am an officer or not. I can't brag or talk about false bravado or fake courage--I've never been there.
    We are all tested, sometimes more than once, sometimes very seriously, the only attribute which remotely determines outcome is how seriously we take our training.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    And just having that mindset will put you ahead of the curve.

Twenty years from now you will be on autopilot in situations that once scared you to death. You will see it all slow down and you will be six moves ahead thinking stressful situations through.

Don't get hung up on worrying about if you will rise to the challenge. Train hard as much as you can afford to. Be willing to spend your own coin and time to ensure you are better, faster, safer.

+1 When you gaze long in the abyss...
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I had some coffee with "AMC" this evening at a coffee shop here in San Francisco, and I wanted to publicly thank him for his time. He is a good guy and it was fun to talk about the profession and shoot the shit and talk a little shop about guns and USPSA.

Also, it's funny how people look at you when having coffee with a uniformed officer in public.

And I also got my CA POST written exam results today with an "above average" score---so I've proved that I can "read and rite english gud" to the state of CA.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 07-28-2016 at 12:32 AM.

User Tag List