Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Becoming a Police Officer"

That's just because AMC is a big scary looking f'er ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Also, it's funny how people look at you when having coffee with a uniformed officer in public.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I enjoyed meeting rojocorsa last night. Seems like a very earnest and sincere young man who actually wants to give back to society. This past week I've met several young people his age who were aware, engaged and willing to volunteer their time and energy to help others in need. They've restored my faith in our future. Hopefully there's enough of them out there to turn our society around. I'm glad he found our discussion useful.

And HopetonBrown is just jealous 'cause I wouldn't share the secret government ninja techniques I learned at Pannone's LE only Low-Light Pistol class.

This not really a question, just a comment on my part:

I'm kinda surprised that in some places they check your credit before becoming an officer.

Site Supporter

I'm kinda surprised that in some places they check your credit before becoming an officer.
    It is common for most types of back ground investigations including LE jobs and federal / military security clearances.

It can be an indicator or stability, risk taking and other character traits.

In federal LE you are normally re-investigated every 5 years.

Our testing and background worked like this:
    -Fill out short app with three references.
    -Written test
    -Physical ability test

If you passed those and were high enough on the list, then (all of this went on roughly simultaneously):
    -Psych test
    -Medical exam
    -Long application with five references (in my case it was a long time between apps, so I had different references listed-they contacted all of them), credit and banking info, and whatever else.
    -Criminal background check
    -Contact current and all previous employers
    -A detective visited whoever you live with-wife, girlfriend, parents-and maybe your neighbors

If you made it through all that they formed a list (our Civil Service rules were that we had to hire one of three), and you got an interview.

By the time I got to the interview it seemed that literally everyone I knew had said to me, "Hey, I got a call from some Lieutenant..."

Now you can add all your social media accounts and who knows what else.
    Last edited by Hambo; 08-20-2016 at 07:56 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It is common for most types of back ground investigations including LE jobs and federal / military security clearances.

Got it.

Check your PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    Check your PMs.

PM replied.

Damn it's nice to hear from you again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Beyond what HCM mentioned, financial instability (and marital infidelity) are huge targets for people looking to buy off cops.....whether it be the cartel employing a CBP officer, LCN buying off local cops, or foreign intelligence pitching federal agents.

As Hambo menioned, your social media accounts are fair game. Protip: don't change your name on facebook to avoid the background investigator. They'll find your account anyway, and if you change your name then it's a good chance you'll be blacklisted. Deceptive behavior is not a good way to get into the gunclub.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-21-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I had never considered the social media thing.

How critically is it looked at? Do investigators look at specific things or signs?

I obviously don't post shady or blatantly inappropriate things, but I'm also not a SJW PC eco hippy brigade member either.

User Tag List