Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: "Becoming a Police Officer"

Still around. Still interested.

I'm not the same man I was when I first started this thread. I've learned a lot and changed for the better.

I don't regret moving out from CA to TX, but I will be leaving for northern Nevada in a few days. (That's how life goes.) Once I get squared away I'll look into the local agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Still around. Still interested.

I'm not the same man I was when I first started this thread. I've learned a lot and changed for the better.

I don't regret moving out from CA to TX, but I will be leaving for northern Nevada in a few days. (That's how life goes.) Once I get squared away I'll look into the local agencies.
    Great thread, I'm currently going through the same thing right now. I graduate with a BS in Finance this spring and may even attend the academy out of pocket this February to speed this process up. I passed my civil service exam and physical exam with flying colors back in November for one agency but never received a call. I have two more coming up in three weeks, hopefully all goes well.

Site Supporter
    The department where I spent the majority of my full time career focused WAY too much on the results of the interview for many years.

There are many components to hiring quality employees in any profession, and hiring is HARD.

That being said, in the 80s and 90s at this agency too often they made decisions just on how they felt after a candidate interviewed. Which resulted in a number of cases where somebody who (probably) would have been a good fit got passed over in favor of somebody who could talk good but couldn't be good.

I have always felt that a real detailed background investigation is the single most important component in hiring.

I haven't had to apply for a job in about 30 years and for that I am very grateful.

Well....

Here I am almost a year later since I last posted in my thread. I spent 2019 in northern Nevada where I had a tough but busy and ultimately productive year on a hands-on role at the family business. I put a lot of miles in and a lot of hours and it has helped me though my job sucked at times: being gone several weeks at a time, weekends, holidays, weird hours, hotels, crappy food, weather, you name it.

Reflecting upon the last year, I am not sure I want to keep working in our line of business(gave it a fair chance, did the work, etc), and most LE careers here are a 30 year ride (as opposed to 20 yrs at places in TX). The cost of living in TX is definitely better than my current area (and NV runs the risk of going full on commie blue). With that, I am thinking of returning "home" to the republic and resuming where I left off in trying to become 5-0 now that I have more work and life experience. I know I've made a few posts referencing this today already but the time is coming to make a decision and I don't wish to do so whimsically. Oh, if only there were a real Magic 8-Ball...

User Tag List