Thread: Philippine President-Elect has an interesting approach to fighting drug dealers...

Philippine President-Elect has an interesting approach to fighting drug dealers...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/58fc2...l-drug-dealers

"Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun — you have my support," Duterte said, warning of an extensive illegal drug trade that involves even the country's police.

If a drug dealer resists arrest or refuses to be brought to a police station and threatens a citizen with a gun or a knife, "you can kill him," Duterte said. "Shoot him and I'll give you a medal."
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Even if it results in half of the country's drug dealers pretending to be good citizens and killing the other half of the country's drug dealers to remove their competition, it would still result in less drug dealers.

I doubt we'd do that here because some departments seem like they survive on asset forfeiture. My local sheriff seems to stay in business by seizing massive amounts of drug money. If the drug business went away, so would his department, because we probably wouldn't approve a levy.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Even if it results in half of the country's drug dealers pretending to be good citizens and killing the other half of the country's drug dealers to remove their competition, it would still result in less drug dealers.

I doubt we'd do that here because some departments seem like they survive on asset forfeiture. My local sheriff seems to stay in business by seizing massive amounts of drug money. If the drug business went away, so would his department, because we probably wouldn't approve a levy.
    Cannot say I agree with that stance.

I do not know of how very small departments function but I do know a lot about asset/property forfeiture (I did it for years in when I worked narc) and I can tell you that the PD doesn't see a penny of that money. Maybe we end up with a vehicle or two to use for a very short period of time but nothing like what people believe.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

From the bankers seat, it looks like cute grandstanding.

Like it or not the drug trade is an integral component of the global economic system , as well as politics. Unless people decide to do something else besides get high to the tune of billions per year , that's not going to change no matter how many bottom rung members get sent to the morgue.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post

Half the people could still sell the same amount of drugs. In fact eliminating competition without risk of prosecution would just make it more profitable due to larger market share and lower overhead for security.

It's not grandstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    From the bankers seat, it looks like cute grandstanding.

Like it or not the drug trade is an integral component of the global economic system , as well as politics. Unless people decide to do something else besides get high to the tune of billions per year , that's not going to change no matter how many bottom rung members get sent to the morgue.
    Last edited by UNK; 06-05-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Cannot say I agree with that stance.

I do not know of how very small departments function but I do know a lot about asset/property forfeiture (I did it for years in when I worked narc) and I can tell you that the PD doesn't see a penny of that money. Maybe we end up with a vehicle or two to use for a very short period of time but nothing like what people believe.
    It's state law dependent, and even in some states where money isn't supposed to go directly to the department, local departments get around the state prohibition by using federal civil forfeiture laws and equitable sharing agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It's state law dependent, and even in some states where money isn't supposed to go directly to the department, local departments get around the state prohibition by using federal civil forfeiture laws and equitable sharing agreements.
    That's been my experience. Departments get lucky when one of their guys gets picked up by a DEA task force, subsequently getting a share.
    Last edited by MD7305; 06-05-2016 at 09:35 PM.

User Tag List