Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR Lethality AK vs AR

SBR Lethality AK vs AR

So I just read Doc's post on both the Russian rifles and 5.56 performance. Doc maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong in the following (or anyone else) If one was to choose between an 11.5 in AR or 11.5 in AK using commonly found ammo (no special purpose stuff) The AK would probably be a better way to go in this setup ?
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

I was keen on an AK SBR until .300 BLK.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was keen on an AK SBR until .300 BLK.
    .300 BLK is awesome. That'd be my go to if it was easily attainable. Due to current global issues and political climate I'm sticking to guns that I can find ammo in every corner of the world for. My dilemma is with this SBR setup. From what I gathered in Doc's post, the SBR AK seems like it would be quite devastating. I know that velocity is reduced by about 300-400 compared to a full length AK. I can only assume that would improve lethality at close ranges based on what he said about it over penetrating. Idk though not my lane so I may be flat wrong.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

For rifles with barrels 12-16", I'd stick with 5.56 mm AR's. For shorter barrels, I'd likely go with .300 BLK. The problems with AK's is finding good ammo--most common 7.62x39mm FMJ loads offer relatively poor terminal performance and with rare exceptions, the majority of JHP and JSP loads for AK's are not much better...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    For rifles with barrels 12-16", I'd stick with 5.56 mm AR's. For shorter barrels, I'd likely go with .300 BLK. The problems with AK's is finding good ammo--most common 7.62x39mm FMJ loads offer relatively poor terminal performance and with rare exceptions, the majority of JHP and JSP loads for AK's are not much better...
    So just to clarify, you would take a 12in AR over a 12in AK? Assuming standard ammo for both (55gr/62gr for the AR)

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Yes, I would take a 12-16" barrel 5.56 mm AR15 firing standard barrier blind duty ammo (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-mm-Duty-Loads) over a 12" AK firing generic 5.45x39mm or 7.62x39mm ammo.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The problems with AK's is finding good ammo--most common 7.62x39mm FMJ loads offer relatively poor terminal performance and with rare exceptions, the majority of JHP and JSP loads for AK's are not much better...
    Sorry for a slight tangent, but this comes as a surprise to me. I was under the impression that FMJ rounds that had a lead core and copper jacket tumbled easily, and that it was only the Russian type steel core stuff that sucked? Likewise, I thought lead-and-copper JSP's were very effective, only the Russian type steel core stuff sucked (once again)? Would it be possible for you to go into more detail regarding what ammunition you've seen perform poorly, as it seems I have been misinformed on this topic? And thank you very much for this information!
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

One thing I note from the shorter barreled ARs is the the high velocity/high fragmentation varmint type loads often slow down enough to be not so fragmenty, and display much better penetration in gelatin due to that factor.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I've found SBRs in a variety of calibers to be plenty lethal.

It is, has been, and always will be the wizard, not the wand.

User Tag List